• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New carp bait you won't believe!

Was fishing a dam on a small river in eastern IA Sunday and was catching a few carp on nightcrawlers. A couple of the local boys told me the way they catch them is to grab some moss from the dam and put it on a small treble hook.

I thought they were kooky but then they climbed up on the dam (it was one of those kinds you can walk across the water) and just let the hunk of moss drift right past where the water was crashing. They then proceeded to out fish me and my crawlers!!

I think the moss they were kicking up walking around was getting the carp focused on that stuff. They said to he!! with my worms.

I had to leave before I could give it a try but I plan on going back to the same spot soon with some size 6 trebles.

Have any of you guys ever heard of catching carp with moss?

Match the "Hatch" as they always say.. Brad Befus talks about how they'll use flies that look like cigarette butts to catch carp if that's a prevalent item in their waters.. ie: city park lakes or tying flies that look like clumps of grass(or in your case.. moss) for grass carp..