• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Antennas

hitthebricks

Question

8 answers to this question

When you installed the PL259 did you solder the wires to the plug? The center point and the outer mesh of wires need to be soldered.

Its also very important that neither conductor touches the other. He can check that quickly/easily with an ohm meter.

Mac.

I did buy a new antenna but I have no real way to check it out without dragging the boat to the Croix and I'm real short on time right now.

When I check it with a ohm's meter what should I find? On the old antenna it had a open loop the new one has a closed loop but the directions said it should be open.

A closed loop will give a reading, right?

Thanks

HTB

Quote:
A closed loop will give a reading, right?

Correct!

I was however referring to the coax cable in my post.

With the cable disconnected at the antenna and at the radio, check with a multimeter that there is no circuit between the shell of the PL259 and the center pin. If you see anything other than an open circuit you have a shorted connection or cable. If it’s possible, use your multimeter to check that you do have continuity between the two center pins (radio and antenna ends) and the two outer shells. This will tell you if have a break in the braid or the center core of the coax cable.

If these things test ok the problem is in the radio or the antenna. If the antenna is new since the problem began it is likely not the problem (although not impossible)

As a last resort try to connect your radio to a known good antenna and see if it works then.

This antenna does not have a detachable coax cable. I checked with Shakespeare and found that the new antenna 5225xt is supposed to read short circuit and the old one 5101 will read a open circuit.

I guess the only thing to do is wait until I'm on the water to test it.

Thanks for the help

HTB

All said an d done, these radios are always a pain in the A. After buying a new radio it turns out the antenna went bad but after installing the new one and soldering on a new PL259 connector it still didn't work. Watched a Youtube video on diagnosing radio problems which helped. I replaced the connector and went a little lighter on the solder on the center pin and finally achieved success.

Today we drag the boat to the Ash trail for some real fun smirk

Thanks for the help

HTB