• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

line to leader question?

rkhinrichs

all right well i like to use leaders when im lake trout or walleye fishing. my main line is normally braided line or mono. to attach the two lines do you use a swivel or just line to line knot? then to attach your lure do you use a snap?

smile Both?

I will use a swivel for my walleye spinners and crawler harnesses, as the blades typically cause too much line twist for my liking without a swivel. So I have my braided main line, a swivel, then a 4-10 foot fluro leader, depending on the lake/day.

Otherwise I use a uni-uni knot connection for my leader to mainline

For the terminal connection, I always tie direct to my lure. For my crankbaits, I use a small split ring attached to the nose of the lure, and tie a uni knot to that for my terminal connection.

smile Both?

I will use a swivel for my walleye spinners and crawler harnesses, as the blades typically cause too much line twist for my liking without a swivel. So I have my braided main line, a swivel, then a 4-10 foot fluro leader, depending on the lake/day.

Otherwise I use a uni-uni knot connection for my leader to mainline

For the terminal connection, I always tie direct to my lure. For my crankbaits, I use a small split ring attached to the nose of the lure, and tie a uni knot to that for my terminal connection.

+1, except I use a crankbait snap (no swivel) for my crankbaits. Tie direct for most everything else (palomar)

all right well i like to use leaders when im lake trout or walleye fishing. my main line is normally braided line or mono. to attach the two lines do you use a swivel or just line to line knot? then to attach your lure do you use a snap?

Uni-Uni knot, then i generally use a quick snap.

here are my setups for bass and pike, using 30lb+ braided main line with 20lb+ fluoro for bite protection from esox and a bit of line invisibility near the lure.

Option 1:

When to use -> when using inline spinners some/all of the time

What to do -> braided main line to barrel swivel to 20lb or heavier fluorocarbon to snap/snap swivel

Why I use -> with a barrel swivel and snap swivel, line twist by spinning is minimized. I also keep this rig set up if I want to switch lures often. I'm more likely to use lures that are more mechanical on this setup than life-imitating.

Option 2:

When to use -> when using lures and not using inline spinners

What to do -> braided main line to 20lb+ fluoro via back to back uni knots, uni knot w/a loop (not fully snug to the lure eye) the fluoro to attach a lures.

Why I use -> Less tackle gives lures a more natural action IMO. Directly tying lures to the leader with a uni knot lets me leave a loop at the connection point, which gives cranks and jerkbaits a wider action.

Uni-Uni flat out works. When connecting a big diameter line to a small diameter line, (Like 4# fireline to 10# mono) Use 5-7 loops on the mono and 8-10 loops on very small diameter line 4# fireline.

Generally its 7 loops and i'm tying 8 or 10 # PP to 10# Flouro.

If I'm trolling spinners I use a snapswivel tired to the braid with a palomar knot.

My spinners are tied with barrel swivel. Having the two swivels I don't get line twist.

If I'm trolling cranks I'll use a barrel swivel with palomar knot to connect the braid and mono leader.

I may or may not tie direct to the crank or use a small cross lock.

For trolling the Great lakes all rods are rigged with a snap swivel.

All leaders are pre-tied with a barrel swivel, 6' leaders and a cross lock.