• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout Pond Fishing

hookncook

http://www.twincities.com/life/ci_20648196/what-catch

I used to krinkle my nose up at the thought of pond trout fishing. I mean, come on! THAT 'aint fishing, and perhaps I've been spoiled after living here and stream trout fishing all my life.

Then I read this article, and the writer makes a good point, for them to come to Wisconsin, fish a pond with their kids in a picture-esq setting large enough to have a picnic of fresh grilled trout is a great get away for her and her family. Especially having young kids.

To us die hards, it's about like shooting fish in a barrel (literally) but in reality, it's probably the best training experience for them.

I'm very new to fishing. My son who is 5 shows a lot of interest in it so we decided to take it up. We have a trout pond that we go to sometimes but don't have much luck. Other people there are catching trout without any problem. Do you have any tips, or know where I can get some info, on what type of bait we should use? Maybe it isn't our bait and just out fishing method lol. We do use reels and a bobber...not fly fishing equipment. Thanks in advance!

I fish an area similar to what you have down there and this is what I have found. The earlier you get there after stocking, the better. Rod and reels are not that important but make sure you have a light line 2 - 4 lbs. The fish can be finicky(i know, i know..... not to most of you seasoned vets)...so bring a wide assortment of bait. Get a #12 red hook for a couple of waxies set up, get a #8 red hook for a worm, half crawler, or tail hooked crappie minnow set up, and a 1/32nd plain grey jig head for a mouth hooked crappie minnow set up. Have even had success with powerbait. Start a small torpedo weighted float at around 2 to 3 ft(adjust if needed and worms a little deeper) and ever so slightly reel and twitch on a retrieve for the worms, waxies, or tail hooked minnows...a little more agressive with the mouth hooked minnow. If you plan on keeping fish let them take the bobber down for a while, especially with the minnows; if you are releasing try to set the hook quicker. Having said all of that, the trout do bite better off of more traditional fly presentations. Without going out and buying a whole lot of new stuff, I have found that a tiny split shot put right by the head of a popper works quite well. It does not sink the lure and still lets you cast it without using traditional fly equipment. Good luck, welcome to HSO, and feel free to ask more questions!

Thing to keep in mind, even pond trout get hammered. They catch on quicker than regular stream trout.

I would recommend something they've never seen before (good try), I would recommend something like a Bro Bug ice fishing jig from Northland Tackle. Get the larger ones, try a few different colors and tip them with a waxie or small piece of worm.

I also found out when I fished a pond with some disabled people, that they really like 1/4 oz spoons like the PK Flutter Fish or small little cleo. Something that's flashy when it falls.

I have had good luck using power bait salmon eggs. Just 1 on a hook. I like to fish them without a bobber but you can't cast them very far. The kids alwqays used a bobber until they were older and they worked fine that way too. I started using them because I thought they might look the pellets they feed them at the hatchery which is also why I didn't use a bobber. Was hoping it would sink like 'the naturals?'

3 times a year, my clients visit these style of ponds. Lanesboro, Genoa, and a private Pond just outside of La Crosse.

It's nice because we (the staff) clean the fish and cook them, other volunteers bring in potato salad and other pot luck style goodies. They all look forward to it and talk about it constantly.

I take pictures and put together a slide show for the clients to see a day or two after the event, they love seeing each other on the big screen.

I have had good luck on stocked trout lakes with dough baits. I've been using Pautzke fire bait in atomic garlic color. I suppose they contain similar ingredients as the hatchery pellets the fish were raised on.