• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hole in bottom of boat

Farley

Not sure what happened but long story short we found a large (4-5 inch) hole or more like a seam that opened up in the bottom of the boat last weekend. It's below the water line. Aluminum boat. It's right on the edge of the main rib that goes from the tip of the bow all the way to the back of the boat. Has anyone fixed something like this and how did you do it?

I believe you are going to have to let people know a bit more. Is it a welded or riveted boat? What brand? How far forward from stern is leak? Can you move anything?

A decent shop should be able to fix it, IF the boat is worth it.

And, just so you'll know: the keel or keelson is the long piece that runs from stem to stern. Ribs are crosswise to the keel: you know,the bow shaped pieces that extend up from keel to gunnerls.

Somebody will have you back in the water in no time.

It's a 89 21' Crestliner Phantom. Riveted. But not riveted where the hole is. It's worth it to us to fix it, we just put a brand new E-Tec on it last season. Yes the hole is pretty much on the very edge of the keel, under the water line, but up in the front.

I would find someone to weld the hole. I went through this last summer after a few logs but some dandy holes in my hull. With enough bouncing and crashing on the water, these cracks or holes can quickly spread. Mine grew and got big enough that i was a running the bilge every 15minutes or water was over the floor...it comes in even faster at full speed smile

After looking at Crestliners old promo brocheurs(sp?) its a 88 or 89 Sabre Sportfish and it's not riveted, but welded construction. Out of warranty. Anyone know of a good place to bring it to to have it welded?

Truth- yeah we found that out on our 7 mile "adventure" the other day in rough conditions. Pounded that hole open pretty good.

Thanks Swampbuck, I'll keep it in mind. But we did find a guy who will take care of it and we dont even have to go up there and bring him the boat (boat is up at our cabin by Int. Falls). Border Boatworks.

+1 on JB

I have a 77 Pike, it has had its share of leaks, I bought that spray stuff you see on TV, that liquid rubber adhesive. "cut out the floor of a boat and put this screen door in sprayed with it, and look no leaks."

The old rivets would just leak like a siv, so I lifted the floor out and sprayed that stuff over the rivets. Dry as the desert now.