• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Toothy Critter & Snaps?

Hawg

I'm new to a mixed bag league and everyone uses Toothy Critter because Northerns are a huge plus. What would you use a snap with? Frogs? Jigs? Spinners? Anything else? I have multiple rods but tying Critter is not real handy.

well if you go with spinnerbaits.. make sure to buy the closed eye loop spinnerbaits.. otherwise the snap will slide all over the place unless you tie some braid or use a rubber band to hold the snap in place.. otherwise you can use a snap with about anything. just expect to snag a few more weeds and such.

Hiya -

To tie Toothy Critter, I just use a 3-turn Uni-knot. Easy to tie, never had it slip.

For open eye - R-bend spinnerbaits with snaps, the best way to keep a snap from sliding down the arm is to put a split ring over the eye, then put the snap on. Works like a charm...

Cheers,

RK

Do you really need a leader when you're using spinnerbaits? I've lost every other type of lure to pike, but I can't remember ever having a spinnerbait bitten off.

BTL -

I rarely use leaders with spinnerbaits for pike or bass. The one time I do use them though is someplace like Lake of the Woods where I'm using spinnerbaits for smallmouths, but big pike and muskies are part of the equation too. 15# pike or 25# muskie hits a 3/8 or 1/2 oz spinnerbait, they usually eat the whole thing, so bite-offs are a real possibility.

RK

Most guys I've talked to say-no way-they pick up too much slop and weeds. I guess tying isn't that big a deal since there are only a couple lakes and a river that have the number and size of northerns to worry about.