• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Difference between cork and non-cork rods

Dbumb

I have both. I haven't seen any improvement in rod sensitivity with either. I think it's all personal preference. I do prefer split grip handles over full grip handles though unless its on my deep cranking rod.

If you choose cork, take the plastic off of it. It will rot if you leave it on. Don't know why, but seems like quit a few people leave it on.

I like my non-cork more but...that could be cause all my cheaper rods have cork handles and my expensive ones don't

If you choose cork, take the plastic off of it. It will rot if you leave it on. Don't know why, but seems like quit a few people leave it on.

I like my non-cork more but...that could be cause all my cheaper rods have cork handles and my expensive ones don't

LOL. I have a friend who leaves the plastic on all of his rod handles. He says it makes them last longer. I thought I was the only person who knew someone who did this, but I guess not. smile

I have found that wood handles offer the best sensitivity.

I do not use any cork on my handles any more. It gets dirty and I have to clean it to keep them looking nice. It also will chip out after time.

I have the x grip stuff on almost all my cork handles. Looks better, has great grip and never looks junky.

I prefer a custom handle with both, or something like the st croix rods have. I build mine with a cork foregrip and an eva butt. It gives good cushion for the heal of your hand and nice sensitivity in the fingers.

It's interesting the way handles have trended recently. 5-10 years ago, all the high-end rods were cork, EVA was for Ugly Stiks and Lightning rods. Now the most expensive rods have EVA handles and I see $20 rods with cork.

I'll take either, but I think I prefer cork overall.

If ya like cork handles.. enjoy it while you can.. supplies of quality cork are dropping dramatically.. It'll be no time before almost all rod handles are made from non-cork materials..

I much prefer the feel of cork to EVA.. plus cork doesn't get slippery when wet.. and overall just feels better in the hand than some synthetic material

I have found that wood handles offer the best sensitivity.

I do not use any cork on my handles any more. It gets dirty and I have to clean it to keep them looking nice. It also will chip out after time.

I have the x grip stuff on almost all my cork handles. Looks better, has great grip and never looks junky.

I have a custom made rod with a wood handle and love it as well. Only thing is, you have to be careful with the butt end so you don't scratch it up.

Many have gone to wood or EVA with the split grips handles as it takes weight out of the rod. Both are lighter than cork.

My rods that are used for trolling and are used in rod holders are cork and all of them have the X wrap on the cork handle. Cork takes a real beating in rod holders espically on the bigger fish when they slam the bait.