• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund IPS ?

upnorth

I have been boat shopping for a bit and found an interesting boat. 2000 Lund 1700 Angler and from what I can find this boat doesn't have the IPS hull.

How big a deal is the difference. If the ride, both comfort and dry is that much better with the IPS I will most likely hold out for a boat with the IPS hull. Just don't want to make a bad decision because I am uninformed.

I think it depends. I have a Lund Rebel XL with the IPS (version 1) right now. It gets up on plane very easily and seems to have less drag than a few other boats I've been in.

That said, I'm not sure it is any more comfortable or dry than other deep V aluminum boats out there. I had a 1991 16' Forester that had a pretty significant deadrise. It was not as stable as the IPS hull, and maybe a tad slower. But it was actually better in the chop as the deep V extended all the way back. If its choppy out, I trim in a little with my Rebel to cut through the waves a little better.

I would not classify either as "dry boats", but then again we're talking about 2 aluminum boats that lacked a splash rail. They are not going to function like a YarCraft or Ranger in the slop.

I have a 2003 17' Lund Angler SS with IPS hull. It is a V but not a deep V, The ride is good, dry and get up on plane easily, but as expected does get pushed around in larger waves due to the design. I take it up to the NW Angle Lake of the Woods and have been out in some big rollers and it does ok but you take a pounding. Currently looking for a Deep V myself.

I should add that my boat only has a 90hp, this boat should have at least

a 115hp to get the most out of the IPS hull.