• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When do I need a transom saver?

Big-Al

I see lots of boats with and lots of boats without. I have a Smoker Craft 192 Millentia with a 115 Mercury Optimax. Since this boat is rated for a 175 my thought is that can get by without a transom saver. Is there a rule of thumb as far as when a person should use one?

Some boat mfgs build one of the strongest transoms which you don't need it. Some entry level boats will need transom savers. For yours, I'm no expert but I recommend it.

If you're going to travel far, I recommend using one regardless. If you're only minutes from the lake/river, its ok not to put it on.

On a motor that size, I would use one anytime I trailered the boat over a few miles. I have seen far too many boats with large outboards bouncing excessively as they go down the road without a transom saver. For me, the 10 seconds it takes to put one out far outweighs the issues that could occur as a result of having hundreds of pounds of motor bouncing on a transom.

This is coming from someone who had a transom actually break going down the highway and if were not for my homemade transome saver do hicky, i would have lost my 60hp evinrude down HWY 10 on Memorial Day a few years back. Would have been a disaster. I use on all the time.

I would use one anytime you want your trim system to feel every bump your trailer feels as you pull it down the highway.

If you lower the motor onto the saver then keep lowering the mechanism, your trim system is no longer in contact with the motor. That is the correct way to use one. Otherwise yes, you will be banging those trim rods with each bump in the road. Very good point.

I've been debating this myself. I used one last summer until I drove into a driveway approach at a gas station and the back of my trailer (with the wide roller) bottomed out.

I didn't realize it until I came back out that it had actually bent/snapped my transom saver pole from the impact.

My debate is that perhaps it was too light weight of a bracket for my 90 Optimax but on the other hand if it had been stronger, that shock would have gone directly to my lower unit so feel lucky that the bracket broke and not my motor.

How much downward pressure are you supposed to apply on the transom saver by using the tilt/trim button on the motor? How do you know you have applied too much or too little pressure on the transom saver? I am new to using transom savers and still trying to figure out the right way to use it on my dad's 225hp merc.

How much downward pressure are you supposed to apply on the transom saver by using the tilt/trim button on the motor? How do you know you have applied too much or too little pressure on the transom saver? I am new to using transom savers and still trying to figure out the right way to use it on my dad's 225hp merc.

You put enough presure on it so you can't lift the motor by hand. Too little pressure and you will be able to move the motor a little, too much and you will tweek or bend the transom saver rod wink. When you have it locked down right the motor wont move up/down or left/right.

Not to be a smart alec but how do you trim down hard enough so your trim and tilt is not still connected to the engine when using the transom saver.I would use a mywedge or a 2x4 way before running a transom saver, but to each their own.

Do all new boats come with transom savers? I have yet to experience the joy of buying a brand new boat so I really don't know. They should come with one if they are integral to the integrity of the transom. There are obviously some compelling arguments for them from many people. I'm no expert in physics but I feel like a transom is going to be under a lot more stress pushing a boat across the lake, especially in rough water, than it would be going down the road on a trailer. On the water, you have the weight of the boat, gear and passengers all being transferred to the back of the boat and transom. On the road you only have the weight of the motor hanging there. I'll chalk it up to personal opinion, and maybe someday when I have that new boat I'll feel differently. Until then, no transom saver here.

P.S. HSO should have a physicist on staff to set us all straight on this and other topics. smile

I tend to agree with you. Im sure there is more stress on the transom engine thrust. But trailering with something has its advantages. Motor position and peice of mind that in the event of a hydraulic failure, your motor won't drift down and drag on the highway. Whether its a Transom Saver or My Wedge, or similar products, one thing is sure, it won't hurt to use one, when properly used.