• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kudos To Cub

Today I went up to the Blaine Cub to pick up some of the sliced boneless 1/2 & 1/4 Farmland Hams they had on sale for $2.99 lb. Going fishing this week and one of my jobs was to get some ham to bring along with 8lbs of pulled pork I smoked a few weeks ago. (I know I can get it cheaper unsliced, but didn't want to mess with the slicer at home).

Couldn't find it in the cooler with the rest of the hams, so I went to the counter. They looked high and low and couldn't find any in the front or back. So the butcher walks me back out and says pick any sliced 1/2 ham here you want and I'll sell it for $2.99. Picked one out that was just the right size for what I needed (about 4 lbs) that was selling for $5.99 lb. He asked me if I was OK with that and apologized for not having what I came in for.

Kinda felt like I up at Zups in Ely and brings a tear to my eye.

Wow! A few weeks ago, the butcher at my local Cub, wouldn't let me pick out some steaks from the deli department, 15 minutes before they were closing!

All of the pre-packaged steaks were small and I asked him for a thicker cut, that was under the glass. His response was "I'm leaving in 10 minutes".

I bit my tongue and left with nothing.

that's the kind of service we had in the Cub i worked at. my thinking was always, customer first. it's real easy to get a customer upset and leave the store but it's very difficult to bring them back. glad it worked out for you. on the other hand for the employee to say i'm leaving in 10 minutes, that's inexusable. takes one minute to have you pick out a steak and wrap it up for you. the only thing i can think of is that they probably did not have a butcher on duty at that time and you were dealing with a part time service employee. also i know overtime is frowned upon and this person wanted to punch out in time, who knows. i would call the store manager and tell what happened. there is no exuse for that type of service. good luck.

Like anywhere, it mostly depends on the workers. Even the big chains want you to be courteous and helpful to the customers but it's more dependent on the individual. The folks at smaller groceries or butchers are either the proprietors or work shoulder-to-shoulder with the proprietors so they typically have a more helpful attitude.

It sounds like you found a gem of a guy working behind the counter at your Cub.

I work at a Subway, granted not the same line of work but customer service is required none the less. We have to keep a smile on our faces in front of the customers regardless of what kind of day we're having. Me especially being the asst. manager. If 6 people walk in 5 minutes before we close, tough $#@!, there is no "We're closing in 5 minutes, sorry", your just gonna be a little late getting home. Like reinhard said, there is no excuse for that type of service. Call the store manager and explain what happened and voice your opinion on the matter and who knows maybe you'll get some free steaks outta the deal. grin