• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Musky Opener

Haven't seen much action in this thread for a while so I thought I'd see what everyones plans were come June 2nd.

I plan on fishing the ALS walleye tournament that weekend so I'll be up on Island Lake Res. for the opener. I saw 12 musky in the shallows bass fishing this weekend up on Vermillion so I plan to get up there this season as well. Not sure what presentation I'll start the season off with, most likely just a size 10 black cowgirl (my go to) in the shallows...

water temps have been around 65 on the metro lakes, shaping up very similar to two years ago which was a great opener, handful of fish in the boat on 3 different types of baits, so i'll be full speed ahead as soon as i get on the water.

With the weed growth and water temps its looking good. I'll be throwing bucktails and glide baits.

Also, it's official, Sugar lake has an estimated 222 adult muskies. That's fewer muskies than fishermen that hit the lake per week. Hopefully the muskies in the horseshoe chain grow up quick!

I would assume some with the heavy pressure of today and etc. there'd eventually be lower numbers in some lakes for sure. I know on Shamineau for instance a lake shore owner who says he buries many muskies each season, many I said is that why a guy hardly see's a fish in there for long stretches of time. So my opener plan is and has been in recent years anywhere but Shamineau. Likely Battle Lake so if the muskies aren't happening the walleyes are so that's a great 2nd option for the day.

Still waiting on the stocking of Tetonka......but I am gonna give it a go this opener and see what goes because there are a few in there. It can not be any worse then trying for one of the two fish that live in French. smile

Most lakes fall between .2 and .4 muskies per acre, so Sugar is at the low end of normal. If you hit even 0.5 fish per acre, you are talking a pretty good numbers lake. AFAIK though there isn't a single lake in Minnesota that has half a fish per acre.

4:30am for me. I will be tossing some of the new gear, but hoping to stick the 55 incher I saw last year. I only see her the first week of the season for the last 3 years and then she disappears to open water.

Fish Head- Do you have a place on vermillion? We have a place in frazier bay my uncle raised a 54 last year

I do... Last July I purchased a cabin just off Moccasin Point. I'd love to hook that beast.