• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Avoiding 35N this summer?

OnAFly

Question

Anyone got any good suggestions on how to get up to Grand Rapids this summer?

I was looking at taking 65 all the way up to Swan River. Anyone done that? How does it compare to taking 35 through Moose Lake?

11 answers to this question

I take 65 all the way up to Vermilion these days, especially with all of the one lanes this summer on 35. You can skip the annoyance of Blaine stop lights by cutting over on any of the state highways and county roads running between the two. You can do that at Forest Lake, North Branch, Hwy 70, etc. It's a much prettier drive IMO but you will be on 2-lane roads where someone is doing 55-65mph. It can get dangerous with trucks hauling boats trying to pass, so my advice (request) is that if you take the Hwy 65 route you just be happy with making better speed than being on I-35.

They had the same thing last year, it really wasn't a problem. We have the ability to leave town around 2-3 pm on Fridays so we miss most of the rush.

We do take 65 home once in a while, isn't bad until you hit Cambridge.

Good Luck,

Mike

I think it dpeneds on where you live in the cities. I live in Brooklyn Park and it is quicker to take Hwy 65 than Interstate 35 to Grand Rapids. It takes too long to go east to 35 and then back west to Grand Rapids.

If you take Hwy 65 I would drve about 62 mph. That way few cars pass you and you do not have many to pass either. I think it is kind of dangerous driving 55 mph because then too many people pass you with no consideration for their safety or the safety of others. Also try not to leave at rush hour (this is probably true for 35 too).

The problem for us in Centerville is just getting onto 35E North. All entrances are close going north between CR-E in White Bear and 97 in FL. Also, they blew up the bridge on 20th (side road) so now I have to take Elmcrest (gravel) from Hugo to 97.

This would all be so easy if they didn't do that bridge at the same time as the freeway mad . I think I'll take over to 65 and go up from there. I would take 35 to 95 to 65 if there was an easy way to get onto 35E N.

If you are east of 35E I would jump on 61 and take that up to 97 and be done with it. If you're west of 35E 65 is probably your best bet but be prepared for traffic. My dad lives in Mora and 65 can be a bear on the weekends.

I take 65 all the way up to Vermilion these days, especially with all of the one lanes this summer on 35. You can skip the annoyance of Blaine stop lights by cutting over on any of the state highways and county roads running between the two. You can do that at Forest Lake, North Branch, Hwy 70, etc. It's a much prettier drive IMO but you will be on 2-lane roads where someone is doing 55-65mph. It can get dangerous with trucks hauling boats trying to pass, so my advice (request) is that if you take the Hwy 65 route you just be happy with making better speed than being on I-35.

Andy, how long does it take you going up 65? What part of the cities do you live in?

We used to lhave our camper up in Ely mn...Its a 5 hour drive for us and we made it every other

weekend..THEN the construction started..two years of 6the hour drives and stalled traffic was enough. Moved it to northern wi ..now i actually feel like i had a relaxing weekend when i get home