• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nice clumps of thin grass in spring,..dies out mid summer

stick

I have a pretty nice lawn, and use a 4 step fertilizer program. The past few springs, I have sections...typically about 3' round...that green up early in the spring, and it is nice thin bladed grass. It's typically a lighter green. Then, as summer progresses, it browns out and gets "bristley".

Any knowledge of what this is, what may be causing this, and what I can do about it. I have pictures I can send to anyone that wants to see it.

I would try to go online and use an id tool to figure out what type of grass it is. Based on the description of being a thin bladed grass and not seeing picture I would assume it is Fine Fescue.

The majority of my yard was planted by a complete moron who must have thought they liked the feeling of this stuff on their feet. I absolutely hate Fine Fescue...it is a shade lover and looks horrible once the heat of the summer comes about. It essentially does what you describe through the summer.

I had the lawn hydroseeded from scratch 11 years ago. This is something that popped up around 3 years ago and it is becoming more prevalent. should I assume that this is some rouge fine fescue that may have just shown up? I have a guy that lives a few blocks away...a SERIOUS lawn guy...that says that he is seeing the same thing at his house.

I will go online and check it out.

You can assume its just about anything.

If its a grass then there is only one way to get rid of it. There aren't any treatments to get rid of grasses within grass unless its crabgrass. So, since it sounds nothing like crabgrass, the best course of action if dig it up or use roundup to kill then reseed.

There are many different types of grass that are considered undesirable that can invade a lawn from birds, rabbits, deer etc. If you stay on top of the "weeds" you can keep a perfect lawn. Its tough though. Good luck.