• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

May Morson Report

Howdy All,

Made a quick trip up to get some more chores done at the cabin. Very nice weekend but windy. Did manage to fish Saturday evening. Tried to catch crappies but those pesky walleyes wouldn't leave me alone! Nothing big but had fun and a beautiful sunset.

The lake has moved up about 6-8 inches since April. They say it's at 50 percent, which is normal, but it still looks low to me.

Spring is a good two weeks earlier than usual so plan your fishing accordingly. Water is warming up nicely. Trees are leafed out. Waterfowl everywhere. Had an otter in the yard. Got my new screen door painted and up. Grass is growing like weeds.. oh wait, those are weeds.

Good luck on the opener all! We'll be back up on the 24th or 25th!

Driving up the 22nd. On the water 23rd thru 25th. New HDS8 to try out. It'll be nice to fish Sabaskong & Miles Bays again.

East, if you can find one, make sure to pick up a Lakemaster Woods/Rainy chip for Lowrance. Awesome detail.

Thanks S.L.,

Got the Lakemaster ProMap Woods/Rainy version 4 chip the day I bought my new Lowrance HDS8. Had the chip out on the ice, on Sabaskong and WFB,in my hand held in late January. Was impressive then. Will have both the HDS8 and the new chip on the water for the first time next week. Can hardly wait to see how both perform.

I have both the Navionics and Lakemaster and I must say I LOVE the detail of the Lakemaster for fishing, it shows stuff I didn't even know about reefs... but it's got too much clutter for navigating... so I use the Navionics on my big unit to move about and use the Lakemaster on my little unit to find the places fish like to be...

just my two cents worth... at ease...

Do the new LM chip or Navionics chips have the 1 foot contours in all of sabaskong? I have a Navionics and it only gets into 1 foot contours if i head far west of morson. Waiting for the 1 foot everywhere to upgrade.

Fished Saturday and and Sunday out of the Taylor Bay area this weekend. Started Saturday in a traditional opener spot (sand shore w/ rip rap and weeds) and found good numbers of walleyes in 3-4 feet. Mostly were males. Trolled spinners w/minnows or grubs. Tried a few other traditional spots and had varied success in 9-12'. Saturday mid-afternoon a front came through, temp dropped and the wind switched to the NW and started to howl.

Wind died overnight so we fished a few more traditional spots Sunday morning and early afternoon and had hit and miss fishing as well.

Back up next weekend!

Sweet! I love the fishing reports from this area- thanks Shorelunch!!! I'm not sure if I'll be able to get up there before late July this year. Hopefully a trip in June can happen, but I'm not holding my breath...

I'll have to live vicariously through your reports fellas- keep 'em coming!

Walleye fishing opener WEEKEND

Got a chance to get out today and wet a line , fished out by Rabbit point in 15 to 16 fow used glow in the dark white and gold jigs today.. had lots of action ..

Thanks for the reports Tolens... any body else have a report. Heading up early Friday. Weather looks awful for the long weekend but already am scheduled off so gotta go... any tips on where they are would be much appreciated! Will report back Monday night...

Rain is bad, cold sucks and wind just blows... you can quote me on that!

OK

Here a week of 19-26 report.

Walleyes were just about everywhere,transitional points rocks and sand.

Wind blowen helped, if you could hold the boat. Jigs, org. gold, blue.

Belive it or not the biggest came from the cabbage weeds right in with the

northerns. Spinner bait, (orange) Cought fish anywere from 5ft. to 30ft.

As I said everywhere. Water temp. wormest-66 low-56

Northern were in the cabbage, look for dark bottom with cabbage, hard to go wrong. Spinner bait or #5 meps

Didn't spend to much time on smallmouth, season not open yet.

It was hard to keek the ---- thangs off your line sometimes, they were just moving up.

Hope this helps, ask if you wought more details

Two of us fished out of Morson Wed, Thur & Friday. Weather was great. All the storms that pounded the cities went South of us, luckilly. Did great every day. Lots of action. Caught fish in 15' to 30' of water. Water temps in the low 60s. Jigs and minnows.

Fished out of Morson over Memorial weekend. Had fantastic success on Saturday. Nice day, calm winds. Fished a sand shore/rip rap/rock shoreline in 8-12 feet and caught lots of walleyes. Jig and minnows, trolled spinners and trolled crankbaits. The largest walleyes (mid-20's) came on the crankbaits (mid-day). Also caught lots of northerns and a smallie.

Sunday had a very strong wind out of the east/north east. Didn't see too many boats heading out of Hanson Bay.

Monday turned pretty nice but had a strong west/southwest winds. Tried a few spots nearby but couldn't get too much going. Back up mid-June.

Fished a bit Friday, Saturday was good, Sunday a little and not at all Monday. Too much wind.

Saturday was the only real good day. Caught a 42" musky on a spinner and minnow! Also a 24.5 walleye, the very next fish.

Did our best in very shallow water -- as little as 4 feet -- right where the sand meets the gravel, but also caught them up to 14 feet, didn't try deeper.

Had the six year old out for 90 minutes Saturday just before sunset and we did incredible. Lots of 14-18 inchers all on a jig and minnow in 4 feet of water. She had a ball. She's caught fish since she was 3 but this time she was really into it.

Lots of rain, wind and cold. had a fire in the fireplace Friday evening. But the kids still kayaked and swam! 58 degree water.

I hate wind. Wind just blows. If the wind just stopped blowing on LOTW I'd be happy.

Back up in 12 days! See ya all on the water.

We were up to our trailer for two weeks. Went Lake Trout fishing for two days. My two partners and I got four fish,up to 12#. Never saw another boat. Portage is OK with a few good men. Track is fine, cable still is kinked. We took a portable electric winch along. Sure helped. Whitefish side is low, hard to push a boat off. We took a 16' skiff which worked out well. We did real good on walleyes despite the weather. Caught all sizes in 12-16 FOW. Minnows and spinners opening day, crawlers got hot later in the week.

Hey,

You guys who pull cranks on the sand this time of year: What lures are you using, what size, how deep do you fish and how fast do you fish?

I won't ask for your favorite spots, honest!

Any help much appreciated

Take care!

Hey,

You guys who pull cranks on the sand this time of year: What lures are you using, what size, how deep do you fish and how fast do you fish?

I won't ask for your favorite spots, honest!

Any help much appreciated

Take care!

Traditionally, we have more luck pulling cranks mornings and evenings, but in LOTW fashion, we catch fish during the peak of the day, too. Spring/Summer, we have more success with #5 and #7 Shad Raps in 6-12 feet. I like the Minnow Raps too. We go to stick baits in later Summer and Fall. We troll them at 1.75-2 mph on the GPS. Favorite colors are Firetiger, Clown, Gold, and Blue/Silver.