• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10-inch Compound Miter Saw

masoct3

I have always been a believer in you mostly get what you pay for with tools. That Hitachi appears to be on the very low end of prices. The bad thing about buying from Am...on is that you can't check it for play, accuracy, etc. Even if you only use a tool once a year, if it has a lot of play it it or it's not accurate, what good is it? Perhaps someone here has that particular model and can comment.

I'll add that I started out with a 10" miter saw many years ago. After a few years of use, I found that I was running into a lot of projects where 10" was too small. So I sold it and bought a 12". Both saws are Dewalt.

Amazon has been advertising some incredible prices on power tools over the past few months. If this meets your needs I would go for it. I also would suggest a sliding compound miter saw in 12 inch, but that may be beyond your needs/budget. Hitachi makes very good tools and so I would buy their product without hesitation. I'm just a DIY guy and so I don't give the tools a hard workout.

Depending on what you'll be using it for, a 12" slider will be much more versatile. If it will spend more time collecting dust than being used, I have a Tool Shop 12" dual compound slider I picked up from Menards a few years ago that has done fine. I think it was $199, and it looks like Harbor Freight sells the same or similar model.

You absolutely get what you pay for with miter saws, so if you are looking for some highly detailed trim work or cabinetry, I would recommend looking into something a little higher end.

The sliding saw goes up & down like a typical miter saw, but also slides forward like a radial arm saw. A good suggestion would be to spend some time at a place like Home Depot and see what the two different kinds of saws look like.

In a nutshell, get a 12" if it is not sliding for sure, and if it is slidiing then 10" would work. I.e. a 10" non-sliding won't cut a 1x8 at a 45, but a 12" will. Good luck.

In a nutshell, get a 12" if it is not sliding for sure, and if it is slidiing then 10" would work. I.e. a 10" non-sliding won't cut a 1x8 at a 45, but a 12" will. Good luck.

I totally agree with this. 12" standard or 10" Slider.

In my experience, the 12 inch sliders are ridiculously big and heavy. Wont be much of an issue if you plan on using it solely at home, but if you need to take it anywhere, it's a beast.

As far as Harbor Freight.... I absolutely love the store and most of their products, but one has to watch out. I have had very bad luck with any of their stuff with motors. I've burned out more than I care to share. Granted, I haven't tried many of their bigger power tools (because I'm too scared), but the small ones aren't much to talk about. Most of their stuff without motors, I cant get enough of (clamps, grinding discs, hammers, etc, etc, etc) (I spend far too much $$$ there)

When I went to buy my bigger power tools (Miter saw, Chop saw, table saw, drill press, grinders, elec impact wrench, drills, etc) I decided that I really only wanted to buy one for a long long time, and decided it was worth saving and waiting to get a good one. Most of them ended up Ridgid brand (and a few dewalts), and I have been very happy with their performance.

Harbor Freight guarantees their product for lifetime, correct?

This is the standard in Colorado. I actually just realized we have HF here, so I dont have to look forward to going to them in Colorado. Such a great store!

I live 1 mile from a Harbor Freight and shop it often. They warranty their hand tools for life. All others, you can buy a pretty cheap extended warranty for. As far as their power tools, you really have to know what you're buying, and what you're going to be using it for. Accuracy or everyday work? I'd go with a brand name tool, especailly if you're making your money from using them.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that Menards and their Tool Shop tools are made in the same factory as Harbor Freight's Chicago brand.

Are the Harbor Freight brick & mortar stores different than what I see in magazine ads? For instance, in MN Sportsman I see a compressor for $39.99, a fish finder for $34.99, a cordless drill & flashlight set for $19.99, the list goes on. I know how much even standard quality tools cost, forget high quality. I don't know how a manufacturer can even begin to make low quality for that price.

I have wandered into a few H.Freight stores and even bought a couple simple and basic little items. But you really gotta PAY ATTENTION!! Ha Ha! I would not buy a power tool from the, especially something like a miter or compound miter saw. I know several people who have not paid attention and a few weeks later they are out shopping for a Makita, Delta, or Porter Cable tool.

Maybe buy a clamp from them (although I've had those come apart in my hands!) or some cheap saw blades or rope or whatever.

But your instincts are right: if it seems TOO cheap.....it IS.

Look for post-Father's Day clearance items. A few years ago, I picked up a 12" Dewalt for nearly half price right after Father's Day at HD. Love the 12" - would never buy a 10" miter saw after using the bigger blade.

How is the Dewalt working out for you?

Look for post-Father's Day clearance items. A few years ago, I picked up a 12" Dewalt for nearly half price right after Father's Day at HD. Love the 12" - would never buy a 10" miter saw after using the bigger blade.

somehow i always end up buying brand at HD, dont know if its customer service, quality, pricing, value or what but thats the majority of my stuff (execept for dirt cheap tool shop hand tools from menards that i rarely use like grinder, vice grip)

The Hitachi saws are quality tools. I have a 12 inch Dewalt dual bevel and a 12 inch Dewalt slider. If I had to do it over again I would not buy the Dewalts but that is just me.

This past week I had to install 7.5 inch crown that was over 1.5 inches thick in a kitchen I am remodeling and the 12 inch saw did give me perfect miters once I got it dialed in but it was a pain lining it up due to the low fence height.