• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike fishing with 11 yrear old son

I have some vacation time in the middle of June and am looking for a good place to take the 11 year old son Northern fishing. Anyone have any suggestions as to where we could go and maybe camp or hit a resort for a couple days?

Rainy or Kab would be a great way to get away. You could rent a house boat on rainy and tow your boat along or try out Woodys resort, grab a guide for a day and take in the beauty of the great northwoods.

Tunrevir~

Where ever you go fishing, be ready to give him a hand if he hooks a big one. When I was about 11, I had a bad experience when my dad gave me advice but wouldn't take the rod. After a long fight, back and forth and under the boat,the line broke and I swore I would never troll again. I was back trolling at about 13. This was back in the mid fifties, and just regular old casting reels. The newer reels will make it easier now though. Good luck and enjoy your time together. My favorite lake for northerns is Wind Lake, in the boundary waters.

Hiya -

Grand Rapids area might be a good one for a look too. Several lakes with good pike populations. You can troll Pokegema with spinnerbaits like a Northland Magnum Reed Runner and keep busy all day, with some nice fish besides. Plus chance to take a break and fish bass or crappies besides.

Hope you have a great trip.

Cheers,

RK

spike76 I had a similiar expirence growing up, lot changes in fishing the one I like most is braided line. I can give the kids the rod to reel in a northern and almost never break the line. Wish that stuff was around when I was a kid.

Can't go wrong heading to mille lacs...big northern, muskie and small mouth....along with I think they have this fish called a walleye. grin

Cove bay has produced some huge northern for me!!