• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What broadheads do you use?

dukhnt

I am gonna be switching broadheads this year. Last year I was shooting rage's but after walking around the Rocky Mountains for a week and having the blades come out of the o rings all the time I decided they were not the broadheads to be using. Right now I am leaning towards Steel Forces's Phat Heads. Just wondering what everyone else uses and why?

I have used Rage's and Muzzy 4-blade 100 gr. I also don't like that the blades can come off the o-ring pretty easily. For what its worth the 2 deer I shot with Rages were both down within 100 yards, but the blood trails were not very good. Huge cut, but the fascia and skin covered up the hole and kept all the blood in.

I like the peace of mind of cut-on-contact, and I have had good experience with the Muzzy's.

I highly recommend and of the Slicktricks I had been shooting the slicktrick mags but switched to the griztrick 2 for a 4 blade 1-1/4 hole. Muzzys are great heads also but I would stay away from the smaller 1" cut ones I had 3 good hits and poor blood trails years back with them. Thunderheads are also great however 2 years ago my buddy was shooting them and had issues with the blades coming out.

A-Sniper,

I'm looking into the slicktricks for my new bow this year. I see the griz heads have 100 grain and 125 grain - what's the difference in the heads between the two weights? Any drawbacks with the short blade and long point? I would probably lean toward the 100 grain as I am shooting 100 gr field points. How do the griz heads shoot compared to your field points?

Thanks

I have used the Slick Tricks for the last 3 years. Mine shoot the same as my 100-grain field points. They are an excellent, well made head. I have shot 8 deer with them and have been more than happy with the trails they left. Two of the deer stopped to look around and died less than 25 yards away.

Before Slick Tricks I used Steelhead 100's. I used them for years and never a problem. Then when they changed hands I decided to give the Tricks a go based on all the great reviews. I would say the reviews were right.

WS

For me it depends on the critter I'm hunting- for thinner skinned, skinnier boned critters like deer I use Spitfire Maxxs. I love them! For thicker skinner/boned animals like moose and elk, I've shot G5 Strikers and been very happy with their performance.

Two of the deer stopped to look around and died less than 25 yards away.

Funny you should say that I have had that happen a few times. The one 2 years ago never stopped eating acorns she just got wobbly and fell over never taking a step.

Any rocket will do. I also use the fixed blade rocket. Meatseeker is becoming a favorite of mine. Have great luck with all the rocket heads I have used for turkey,bear,Deer, or Elk.

Meatseeker

Ulitmate steel

Sidewinders

Steelhead

Minniblaster

I have even taken a few deer with the hammerheads. That does a ton of damage to the deer.

Bad to the Bone Muzzy's for me! 3 blade, 100 grain MX3! Git-R Done!!!

Here is a 175lb. spike buck I shot at Ripley. It was a 35 yard shot and it turned as I let go of the arrow and it hit far back, but it the Muzzy went thru the lung on the left shoulder (see pfull-983-20795-muzzybuck.jpg

full-983-20796-pa300162.jpg

ictures) and bled out.

Bad to the Bone Muzzy's for me! 3 blade, 100 grain MX3! Git-R Done!!!

Here is a 175lb. spike buck I shot at Ripley. It was a 35 yard shot and it turned as I let go of the arrow and it hit far back, but it the Muzzy went thru the lung on the left shoulder (see pfull-983-20795-muzzybuck.jpg

full-983-20796-pa300162.jpg

ictures) and bled out.

Ripley sure has nice sized spikes!

I was going to edit the post from spike to forky, but I figgerd youse guys could firgger that out!LOL grin

I had the pin on it's chest then when the arrow went, it turned and bolted but not before the Muzzy did it's damage!

Still shooting the Rage 2-blade, no issues yet, but have been thinking a change after seeing the wife down a real nice Doe last year with the Muzzy 3 blade MX-3.

Plus a fixed head would allow me to shoot through the mesh in the blind without the rage deploying the blades.

I am leaning towards the Muzzy(wife shoots), but also the G5 Montec's (daughter shoots).

Atleast with them having the heads already I can do some practicing with them to see if the arrow flight is good.