• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

building a 10x20 perm

scoot1215

First thing to consider is how your going to get it to/from the lake. Are you looking to build a skid house or wheel house? If you live right on the lake then skids are just fine but if you dont live on a lake then a wheel house is the way to go, little more expensive but well worth it, and much easier to drag around one unit compared to having a separate trailer for the house.

I have owned a few houses that were 8x16 and there were a few things that are a must do in order to have it last a life time the most important part is the foundation or skid platform that you will have under this house.

I have had the 6x6 and 8x8 white oak skids and they are great for fish houses but you have to have it set up so that they can be changed out in case one breaks and they needed to be fastened in a way that they will not break so this means tieing them together.

I have also helped build a number of steel style skids and IMO think they are far suppreme than wood.

If I ever bulid a pern house again it will have steel skids that is built like a sled that the house sits on so you dont pull on the house but you pull on the skids or sled

I would use a rectangle style tubing or square and figure a way out to have removeable caps on each end so you could use heat to thaw the skids if they freeze in.

I would also make it so you could pull it from both ends of the house.

Another thing is you have to plan that with a house this size you are going to have a couple of tons of weight on the ice so a great jacking system for putting blocks under what ever style skdis you have.

You can try and save weight in places but when you start building this size of a house you will tip the scales on the heavy side.

You can move a house down the road of this size also but you will have to obtain permits from the state/DOT

There are also a few guys that speacilize in moving houses of this size and will move a house to a spot for a fee.