• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help with shifting on a 1984 50 hp Evinrude

I went to put the motor in gear and it got stuck in forward, when I took the shifter box apart there was a round ball and another part the was loose in the enclosure, I can't find anywhere that it should go and now I'm not sure I have it back together correctly. Does anyone have a picture diagram or a picture of what it should look like on the inside? I have another question, there are 2 cables going into the box 1 is for shifting and the other is for the gas, My question is what one is for what?

Thank you all for the help,

My shifter box looks different than the one posted. I was able to put it back together but I think I might have messed up something with the Idle speed, the motor hasn't run in 15 years so I'm not sure how it ran before I took the shifter box apart, but when I start it up it runs wide open, I didn't try shifting it in gear yet, since I wanted it to Idle slower first. Does anyone know where I can adjut the Idle speed?

Thank you

Probably going to get in trouble for this but, I have an Old Evenrude service Manual from when I owned a mid 80's 50hp evinrude. I am looking to potentially part with it for the right amount if intersted. if you want to send me an email you can at kb0sik at gmail dot com. (note the 3rd digit is a ZERO not a capitol O)

PS Manual is a 1973-1990 Evinrude/Johnson 2-40hp Outboard. thought it had 50hp in it but does not but would be close if interested.