• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need some help trying to decabronize the carbs on my Mercury

beeflover

Question

I want to shoot some Seafoam into the carb intakes and I have questions about accessing the carb "throat". This is a 115 Hp Merucry 2 stroke and it seems to have a big cover over the front of the carbs.

Do I need to take all the screws out and remove this cover or does it swing open?

Any advise much appreciated.

Thanks

7 answers to this question

If you want to decarbonize,The carbon is on the piston surface,Warm the motor turn it off,Add seafoam bout 1 oz to each hole let it sit 20 min.Fire it up and run it watch it smoke.Then run it out.

Thanks Jenz I understand that part, my question is how to get to the carbs. Do I have to remove this big plastic cover in front of them?

I guess I'll go ahead and take it apart and see what I find.

Good fishin

Ron

How do you know that decarbonizing needs to be done?

If you want to give it a try, Mercury has a spray can decarbonizer that can be sprayed in through the carbs but you may have to remove that baffle to use it. Pick up a can at your dealer, ask them how they use it, then follow the directions on the product carefully.

Beef. Not sure about mercs' , but i would think a few screws should be all you need to remove to pull the cover off. I decarbonize my motor in the fall when i winterize it. If you want to do it now; get some decarbonizing spray.( i use mercurys' brand also) Put muffs on the motor so you can run it. After it has warmed up; bring it to a fast idle. Then spray some of the cleaner into each carb. If you are going to use the motor the next day , i don't think you need to do any more.BUT!! If you don't plan to use it for a few days, i would pull each plug and spray some fogging oil in the cyl. and run them up and down a few times.My feeling is that the cleaner will leave the cyl walls unprotected. The fogging oil will protect them. It will smoke when you first start it, but after that you should be good.

I think you do have to remove the plastic piece, although I think you can stick the straw of a spray can through a little hole.

Since I used to have a 115, I bought the mercury service manual on cdrom. I have all the pdfs on my computer and looked through them all and didn't see a mention of that cover, so it must be fairly obvious.

I have been known to email a file or ten if you need them.

hey thanks guys, I took that big plastic piece off and I had 4 carburetor throats lookin right at me. I warmed the motor a couple minutes then jacked up the rpms a little and started sprayin the foam right in the carbs. The motor would bog down with each spray because there's less octane in the foam. Sprayed each carb about 20 times then shut it down pulled the plugs and fogged behind the plugs. Let it sit 20 minutes, fired it up again and repeated the spraying again. Put in new plugs.

Took it on the lake this afternoon and it never ran better! That $10 can of foam was better than a lot of tune-ups I've paid big bucks for. I'm doing it on my lawn mower and car next.