• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So what happens if Dayton limits at midnight?

TylerS

Here's a little conundrum I've been mulling over this morning regarding the governor's fishing opener plans: what happens if Mr. Dayton limits out during his first foray after midnight?

If you haven't heard, Dayton plans to go out at midnight, fish, go back in for breakfast or whatever, and then go out again at noon.

Now, he's fishing a metro lake, and even though his guide claims the night bite is awesome on Waconia, let's just assume Dayton isn't going to be reeling in keepers hand over fist.

In that scenario, he's fine to go out again at noon (the same day) because he hasn't reached his possession limit, right?

But what if he DOES catch a limit after midnight? What do you think Dayton will do? Will he go out again at noon for the proverbial "double dip" or do you think he'll take the high road and call it a day?

Legally, what can he do? Or, ethically, what should he do?

It's not a big deal, really, as I'm sure thousands of people go out at midnight and then again later in the day for opener. But there's a lot of talk on this site about daily limits, possession limits, what's right, what's not, etc.

So what's everyone's thoughts? This is all hypothetical, of course, but I thought it would spur some good discussion.

Oh, and good luck this weekend! I'll be at a wedding (sigh) so someone please enjoy yourself double for me.

Tyler

When it comes to media events like this, I think all rules are out the window. I read elsewhere that some reporter on KARE11 was casting a Rapala off the dock on this mornings live news broadcast. smile

I think Darren's right, in this situation probably anything goes despite what is or should be considered right. And it wouldnt surprise me if that reporter was throwing Raps already, I was out last night and saw some people getting some "pre-fishing" in.

The solution is rather simple. All he has to do is not keep his limit when he goes out at midnight and then there isn't an issue since he won't be at his possession limit or daily limit when he goes back out again. I'm sure Dayton and the guide are probably smart enough to figure this out.

I highly doubt they'll be keeping more then there limit. Do you think the guide or Dayton want the bad press that would come with something like that? All Dayton needs to do is catch one fish and get a photo with it. Its all just a PR thing the goal isn't to catch limits for everyone in the boat.

in the unlikely chance he catches his limit Saturday early am I'd bet he'd go out crappie fishing or for some other specie than walleye at noon.

I think he's kind of a bafoon but he'd really have to be certifiable to double dip on Saturday.

Someday I'd like to have a Governor who has had his own traditions in place for such a long time that he would just say, "I'm going fishing with my buddy's like I always have" and wouldn't have a staged event here there and everywhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no law that says you have to stop fishing just because you have caught your limit?!?!

Some people focus way too much on limits, there are actually people out there who enjoy fishing just to fish. I always laugh when I hear people say "we had our limit by 10am so we quit!" If that is the only reason you are fishing, you need a financial adviser... because you are spending way, way too much money on walleye fillets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no law that says you have to stop fishing just because you have caught your limit?!?!

Some people focus way too much on limits, there are actually people out there who enjoy fishing just to fish. I always laugh when I hear people say "we had our limit by 10am so we quit!" If that is the only reason you are fishing, you need a financial adviser... because you are spending way, way too much money on walleye fillets.

You might just get corrected. There have been many, many threads regarding just this subject, and from what I remember, once you've reached a limit, you can not LEGALLY fish for that species any more. Getting a CO to prove you are still fishing for a certain species is one thing, but I believe that is how the law is perceived.

You might just get corrected. There have been many, many threads regarding just this subject, and from what I remember, once you've reached a limit, you can not LEGALLY fish for that species any more. Getting a CO to prove you are still fishing for a certain species is one thing, but I believe that is how the law is perceived.

Yep, a lot of the laws largely depend on the honor system for effectiveness.

Quote:
I think he's kind of a bafoon but he'd really have to be certifiable to double dip on Saturday

You're making the assumption that he can count to six?

- Cheap shot I know, couldn't resist

• Once a daily or possession limit of fish has been reached, no culling or live

well sorting is allowed.

You can catch and release fish all day long even if you have you limit. Long as the season is open for that fish. (I found no info on this that you have to stop fishing once your limit has been reached in the regs.)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

The solution is rather simple. All he has to do is not keep his limit when he goes out at midnight and then there isn't an issue since he won't be at his possession limit or daily limit when he goes back out again. I'm sure Dayton and the guide are probably smart enough to figure this out.

I highly doubt they'll be keeping more then there limit. Do you think the guide or Dayton want the bad press that would come with something like that? All Dayton needs to do is catch one fish and get a photo with it. Its all just a PR thing the goal isn't to catch limits for everyone in the boat.

+1

well said

Im sure they will stay within the laws and if fishing was that good they wouldnt be going out at midnight to fish. This is usually a C&R deal with a few pictures anyway. Waconia and Dayton fishing doesnt sound like a lot of fish caught to me. They started going out at midnight on these hard to catch lakes like White bear lake and Pokegama to try to catch something. I have done a few of these as a guide boat but didnt sign up for this one.

Show me in the regs where you have to legally stop fishing for a species because you have your limit. Yes, there is no culling of fish, and you can't keep anymore, but there is nothing to be said about having to stop targeting that species.

This has been debated many times before. The answer has always been that once you have a limit in possession you are done fishing for that species. Sure you can say you are fishing for some other species, but technically you cannot be targeting the same one you already have a limit with.

This has been debated many times before. The answer has always been that once you have a limit in possession you are done fishing for that species. Sure you can say you are fishing for some other species, but technically you cannot be targeting the same one you already have a limit with.

Darren, I went over the reg book and can't find that anywhere in it. What passage in the regs do you interpret as mandating you can't target a species once a limit is reached?

Historically it means he will win a landslide re election campaign and we will have him for another 4 years.

It's not, mostly CO interpretation, and I'm sure many loopholes to fight in court. But a ticket is likely. Like I said, discussed many times, here's an example.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1748003/DNR_Question

I don't think a ticket is likely, I was checked with my limit on pool 4 and the CO never mentioned I had to quit fishing... he just asked if I understood that I couldn't keep anymore. It wasn't like he was being lazy either, because he had me measure one of my walleyes. I know it's just one example, but you think if it were illegal I would have gotten a ticket or at least a warning.

I doubt they could even give a ticket for it, being it isn't specifically written in the regs.