• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slow Death Question

Chris Barlage

I started using this rig last year with great results but not 1 walleye caught. It put a bunch of other fish in the boat though thats why I say great results. One thing I have noticed compaired to others using this rig is that I have been using a lindy no-snagg slip weight and others have been using bottom bouncers. Do you think this makes a big differance in the rig?

i just put on end of snap swivel on ultra light setup....resulting in crappie & LM catches, very fun fishing method, u catch the aggressive ones & they r ticked off when hooked? on an ultra light setup, its a fun fight! planning on setting up my small boys on it this year for a little more motion than a bobber

I run bottombouncers alot and there is more to it then just putting them in the water.I have given others in my boat the same setup as mine and some still have problems catching walleye. I try to stay 1.5 mph trolling, One thing make sure you have your bouncer/line angle not much more then 45 degrees so you have to go with heavier weights the deeper you go, check for contact with bottom if you have to let out more line all the time then go with a heavier weight I have went as high as 3 ounce. I think this would hold true with your snag-slip weight also. When you get a bite hold tight and let your rod tip go back to the water and set hook you may miss some but not many.

I use them on bottom bouncers as well. Make sure you have a good swivel to allow the crawler to spin freely and check it beside the boat before you drop it down to make sure it's working like it should. This will also give you an indication of the mininum speed you'll need to make it spin.

I've had days where this set up has noticeably outfished other live bait rigs but it took a little fooling around with this technique before I had the confidence to use it more often. Keep trying and you'll see results.

snell- The length of line between your swivel and hook. On clear lakes like ML it might take a 10-12 foot snell and on stained lakes you can get away with 3-4 foot snells

On my SDR ive been running about 3-4 foot on local lakes with no trouble.

1st year of really using this presentation. I have to say it has been lights out. I have been running a little slower than others have posted, I run 0.7-1.0 mph. I use a size 1 or 2 (I have not noticed a difference in hook ups), with a 3-5foot leader. Running them on bottom bouncers, 1/2 to 3/4 ounce weight, with a top quality swivel attached as LMITOUT stated.

Earlier I ran a spinner harness along side the SD hook and I did catch more fish on the SD. Lately I have been running just 2 rods out with the SD and catching a lot of walleyes. Other species have been crappies and smallmouths. I am fishing these SD hooks on flowages on the WI river.

I have been very pleased with the ease and effectiveness of this presentation.

I use them with a 4-5ft snell. I also use a pretty heavy bottom bouncer.

My speed that I have had my best luck with is just under 1mph. I set the rod in myt rod holder and let the fish hook themselves, don't miss many at all with this method.

Thought I would try them on some panfish as I troll crawler harness's alot for gills.

I use them with a 4-5ft snell. I also use a pretty heavy bottom bouncer.

My speed that I have had my best luck with is just under 1mph. I set the rod in myt rod holder and let the fish hook themselves, don't miss many at all with this method.

Thought I would try them on some panfish as I troll crawler harness's alot for gills.

I had never even thought of doing this in years past. But the last few years trolling crawler harness's for eyes we have picked up a fair amount of nice crappies and gills. They do make the smaller size SD hooks, I think a size 4??, that would work for gills and crappies. I did pick up some nice crappies on the size 1 or 2 SD hooks this past weekend though.

i buy size 4 or 5, put on line for my 6 year old son and he loves catching the pannies with it, he just casts out and reels in, keeps him a little busier than bobber fishing, lets him learn his rod n reel more, & the fish always hook themselves, he feels a jerk & fish on!

So, I have seen the slow death hooks with the weird bend. Is the rig the same as a normal bouncer/lindy set up just with a different hook. Or what else is different. I have never fished one.

Pretty much. I just tie on the hook, string a crawler up over the knot, pinch the crawler off an inch or so after the hook, and troll fast enough to make sure it spins in the water.

Attach a high quality swivel to the bottom bouncer, it will help reduce line twist in the snell.

Over all a very easy way to fish, and highly productive. Easy walleye fishing for the kids, they don't have to worry about setting the hook.