• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bmc

As some of you guys know from my post's here, turkeys have had my number for the 1st 5 years that I've hunted them. While there's been some close calls, all it's ever amounted to was tag soup with a couple feathers mixed in.

Well.........all that finally changed yesterday evening!!!

I was set up in the SW corner of a HUGE pasture. I had hunted this spot the previous morning and didn't see anything or even hear anything.

So I got to the blind around 2:30 and settled in. I had a B mobile tom decoy out front at 17 yds, a hen in front of it in the breeding position, and another hen off to the side.

Around 6pm, I see 2 turkeys about a hundred yards out, heading my way along the edge of the wood line. All of the sudden, one takes off running and flies over my decoys. The other one runs aways and cuts into the woods and then I heard a 4 wheeler. It was the farmer and his dog out checking cattle. What can a person say but stuff happens.

So I was thinking that was it for the night when at 7 pm I look to the NE and see a black speck waaaaaay out there, probably 700 yds. I glass him w/ the Swarovski's and see it's a tom. He slowly worked his way towards me, stopping, strutting, and gobbling like crazy.

I pulled the string and lowered and dropped the fan on my decoy a few times and would use my gobbler call to cut off the tom's gobbles. He kept heading my way and the shakes really started to set in when he dropped into a dip about 100 yds out.

Next thing I know, he's standing behind a bush at 20 yds in full strut. He walked into my shooting lane and I sent an arrow on it's way. The arrow hit him and he spun in circles and hobbled off. I could see that my arrow broke the near leg and was sticking out both sides of him.

At this point I wasn't sure what to do, as he was now about 60 yds away on the edge of the wood line. So I bailed out of the blind w/ my bow in hand and walked towards the tom. Luckily the brush was very thick and he got hung up in the brush, so I was able to sneak another arrow through a tight spot at 10 yds.

I then set my bow down and waded into the brush after my long sought after prize, who still had some fight in him. So I stepped down on his neck and used my hunting knife to finish things.

21 lbs, with a 9" beard, and 7/8th's " spurs. What a great moment!!!!!

0066ct.jpg

I lost a friend in March, who took me on my first turkey hunt in 2000, down in Iowa. I think Terry was in the blind with me as the events unfolded yesterday evening.

Thanks Terry!!!

Brian

Congrats Brian! That's a great story and a really nice picture with the sunset in the background. I'm very impressed that you stuck it out to take your first bird with a bow. That's quite an accomplishment.

Thanks guys!!! It was a long time coming, but soooo worth it!!!

Funny fact....I didn't sign up for the FM Turkey Contest this year. Coincidence perhaps?? crazy

Maybe I was putting too much pressure on myself the last couple of springs when I signed up and came up empty time and time again. Ya......ya.......that's it! LOL

Brian

Thanks guys!!! It was a long time coming, but soooo worth it!!!

Funny fact....I didn't sign up for the FM Turkey Contest this year. Coincidence perhaps?? crazy

Maybe I was putting too much pressure on myself the last couple of springs when I signed up and came up empty time and time again. Ya......ya.......that's it! LOL

Brian

SOOOOOO thats what I need to do to get a bird. OK I'll have to remember this for next season No turkey contest = bird grin

Congrats Brian! That's a great story and a really nice picture with the sunset in the background. I'm very impressed that you stuck it out to take your first bird with a bow. That's quite an accomplishment.

My thoughts exactly. WTG! cool