• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear sign, bait location what to look for...

I'm curious as to what some of you suggest when scouting for some new locations for new bait site. I hunt state land a lot of area and have had good and bad luck in choosing in the past but need to pick couple new spots this year.

Was going to look on a map pick couple areas then start scouting them to see how they look.

What would you look for,or where would you start?

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

What I look for is basic as its gets to start is food water cover. If you can find a tract of land that has those three components, it a great start,.Beyond that I start to naroow it down to funnels an travel routs, which topos come in handy. Last year I scouted a great spot with 57 an found a area on state land whhichhad an oak ridge adjacent to a swampy low area. I have my best site alomg a river , river bottoma are great, it holds all 3 an its easy to pik out funnels. once you get interested in a tract get a topo an take a walk aroundlooking sign, the topo might even hold a water hole that ya might not have known was ther. picking a bait site for me would be in a funnel or just off the funnel on high ground so water runs away. on a ridge line adjacent to the swampy area fore mentioned. nothing wrong with test baits, just gota move a hundred yards away if you plann on hunting the area. If you could find a beaver lodge, then your golden, they make natural habitate tyhat bear love. an beaver is a favord food source. hope this helps some. its getting time to start scouting, berries busshe should be just starting leaf out, I go after a rain much better to see prints. good luck.

I usually get my topos from my county auditor.but im sure there are sites on line but i dont know of any. you also can save some time an talk to locals, they have pretty good info if bear have been wandering thru the area.

jay83196- there apps you can buy for your i-pod that have great reviews for topo maps. i have not bought or tried them. so idk if you should take my word. but they look great. and when i get some money i plan to buy one of them. just search topo map. if you do buy one let me know if you like it.

Boar has some great points but I look at it in less detailed way. Scat on the road, it is really that simple. Bears love to tell us just what they think of our roads and trails and that makes for a very easy starting point.

Ok maybe a little more then driving around looking for bear turds is involved. I like to look for areas that offer the big boys some relief from the heat and bugs but close to food sources and water.

Well thats how it started for me, 11 yrs ago, I hauled in a pop up ice house to deer hunt outa, opening rifle found my pop up destroyed an with a nice big happy meal in the mddle of the floor. the next fall I took my first bear on that exact spot an have been hunting it ever since. All thou I dont advise setting up a crib in the middle of the road tho. wink

I'm curious as to what some of you suggest when scouting for some new locations for new bait site. I hunt state land a lot of area and have had good and bad luck in choosing in the past but need to pick couple new spots this year.

Was going to look on a map pick couple areas then start scouting them to see how they look.

What would you look for,or where would you start?

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

We always looked for the biggest darkest chunk of woods we could find that backs up to a good size wet land or swamp. eek One that doesn't have deep water but may have a lot of little islands and places they can bed. Most of our Bears always came out of the swamps! Good luck! wink

Water source not river bank, thick cover. Make sure they have a safe approach route/escape. Thick cover. Try and make it where they can't circle ya. Bigger bear will try to circle ya before coming in I've found. I like thick cover with a watered tag swamp. IMO, the most important thing is they have to feel safe coming in. Thicker cover for them coming and going. Or you'll get night bears. Big bear, ya gotta play wind as well. If you have a big guy hitting, plan your hunt on a good wind day. I've found older boars are very smart! :)) You may only get one crack at them.

I like to keep baits near swamps in the thickest possible area. Also I look for other hunters as I dont want to set-up within a mile of another hunter and get them mad. Nothing is more annoying than having someone set a bait extremely close to your bait.