• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Driver question

A R Johnson

Was looking at getting a new driver. I have a Taylor Made burner driver right now that is about 4years old. I was thinking on getting the 2.0 burner driver (not looking for the adjustable heads) but not sure if would be better than the one I got. Also I had a Callaway driver before and really liked it and maybe was considering a new Callaway driver. So just need some input from people that have a Taylor Made 2.0 driver or one of the new callaway drivers to help me decide.

Why would you not look into an adjustable head driver? They give you the ability to tune the club to you. That being said, I have the R9 and love it. Had a Burner before this one and sold it because I just hated it. Have hit the R11, but unless you have a very consistent swing, I would hesitate to buy it. When you hit it on the screws, it is LOOOOOOOOOONG. But it is very unforgiving.

Like stated above, I have heard nothing but raves about the Callaway Razr Fit. The new Titleist drivers are very good as well, but like the R11, a club designed for the lower handicapped player.

Well I got this R9 beginning of this season (went from the R9 460 back to the R9 420), once I got on the range and got it set to where I wanted it, I haven't touched it. Its not about adjusting it for every tee shot that you can hit a fade or draw. Its about adjusting the club to your swing so that you get the desired result on every drive. Say you have a tendency to hit a 30 yd fade/slice on your tee shots. You can adjust the club by closing the face, adjusting the lie, that will straighten or greatly reduce your slice/fade. When you are happy with it, set it and forget it. Now if you swing changes during the year and you start hooking the ball, then you may have to open the face back up. But all in all, there isn't a whole lot of changing it around. They are just more adaptable to your swing.

Another advantage of the adjustable drivers;( although i don't have one, but playing partner does) is some days your swing maybe a draw and the next time it could be a fade. You can compensate for that before you start playing.

Dropping one degree may help some.It also can depend on where you locate the ball in your stance. You can lower the flight some by moving the ball back in your stance an inch or so. I will move the ball back up 3 inches when hitting a punch shot.

The correct shaft will make a big effect on ball flight too. I used to balloon my 9.5 driver and stiff shaft, I know have an 8.5 and 87 gram xstiff shaft and my backsoin has dropped big time. I actually get a roll out instead of a ball mark in the fairway and a 1 foot hop

Even more about the right shaft. I have a very high ball flight, no matter what the club. With this new driver I have this year, it has an upgraded shaft, but what made the biggest difference was it is a mid kickpoint. It lowered my ball flight and gave me more distance on the roll. World of difference. Thing to remember with adjustable clubs....say you have a 9.5. If you close the club face down, for every notch on the shaft you move it, will will increase the loft of the club .5 degrees. If you open the face of the club, it will lower the loft .5 degrees.

How often do you adjust your driver? All depends on the holes if you want to fade or draw? I just thought it would be more of a pain to adjust it all the time it would cut into my beer drinking time.

If you're going to follow the rules, you can't adjust your driver during a round - however you have it set up before you make your first swing, that's what you have to use for the entire round.

As far as new drivers to consider, the new Callaways are terrific, and if you're looking for a lower price point but still great performance, test drive any Cleveland driver from the past year or two. Great clubs, very easy to hit.

edit: oops I just saw that you already made your purchase smile

Well I'm selling it and buying something else. Not sure im considering the callaway razr x, Taylormade 2.0, diablo octane i've tested other ones but got it down to these if anyones has one of these let me know how you like them.

Got new irons this year, and here's what I did and highly recommend. This can be done with any club:

I went to Golfsmith (closest) and scheduled a fitting with a guy who knows WAY more about all the differences in clubs and shafts and fitting than I do. I told him I'm interested in a new set of irons. He said "What kind?" (And here's the magic answer) I said, "I don't care, whatever works best for me. YOU tell me." His eyes lit up and said, "Alright, let's rock." So he started handing me clubs. I never looked at what they were, just started swinging. I suppose I hit about 7-10 different brands and set ups, not really paying attention. I just swang 'em as he handed them to me. In the end, I got what was most consistently straight, not necessarily the farthest. I shaved 8 strokes the first round and have been pretty steady with it. And what I got was something I would have never thought I wanted, even after reading all the club reviews in the magazines. This is the first time I bought any club(s) this way, and am wondering why I didn't do it this way 15 yrs ago. The club fitter said he loves when people come in and say, "I don't care." That's fun for him. He hates people who come in and tell him what they THINK they need, and then get ticked when it doesn't work.

So here's the Cliff notes: Don't set your mind on any particular brand, don't listen to your buddies or buy what your buddy plays because he hits that particular club far and straight, and don't get jaded by the different commercials. Golf equipment has gotten so diverse, an amateur, and even the pro's can't keep up on all of it. Spend a little extra money and get fitted by a pro, it will save you more in the long run, and keep you from having to buy, sell, buy, sell, buy, etc..

Just my opinion....