• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$1200 to spend on 2 fish finders..what to get?

mhines

I'm picking up a bass boat this weekend..if you had $1200 to spend to buy a fish finder for the bow, and driver........what would it be?? I fish 99% of the time on the Mississippi river. I have a couple ideas, but cant decide. Help me out here!!

Thanks!

Humminbird 360. This will be extremely helpful on the river. You will see a submerge tree, rock and sand bar before you run into it.

because of how the transducer is lowered below the hull of the boat I thought you need to be stationary when using this. to me with the transducer down there would be alot of drag and the deployment mechnism getting damaged because of flexing. I could be wrong since I haven't researched the 360 yet as it is something I don't plan to get at this time.

plus the 360 is a add on to the HB units that have ethernet ability. plus the cost of the 360 is $2000 or more with out the finder it self.

Ya no way I'm going to buy the 360.....plus i don't think its even out yet. I'm thinking something with DI/SI just not sure which ones to get. I also want GPS too.

Depending on boat size....if you end up going with one unit, you could use the additional cord length and just purchase an additional mount to run the unit from the bow if your fishing up there. I've been doing this in my 16' for a few years and while it is another step to add before fishing, I didn't want to spend the money on another unit for the front. The cords are encased in a protective sheath to keep them organized. When I move to the back of the boat to drive I just clamp the unit in the back mount and wrap the remainder of the cord around the base to stay out of the way. Just something to think about. Good luck with the purchase. wink

Quote:
$1000.00 in a ROTH IRA.

+1 or put into a "fishing fund". On a side note, if you were my friend or fishing partner, I would NEVER want to hear you biaotch about gas prices after spending that much on a depth finder. wink

My only suggestion is stay away from Lowrance. They have horrible customer service, as everyone will tell you. I have had 3 and hate them all, the most recent being HDS 7. Just can’t afford to replace it right now. When I can you can bet I will and never get another Lowrance again!!!

My only suggestion is stay away from Lowrance. They have horrible customer service, as everyone will tell you. I have had 3 and hate them all, the most recent being HDS 7. Just can’t afford to replace it right now. When I can you can bet I will and never get another Lowrance again!!!
Well, I wouldnt say that so not EVERYONE would tell you. I called last year a couple times once for an issue with an older unit well out of warranty, they helped me. Later I called about a potential problem I was having with my HDS 7 and they were extremely helpful. Solved my problem over the phone. The alternative would have been to send in, if it didnt work, but I didnt have to resort to that.

In the past the customer service was really bad, but it is much improved.

Thanks to all for the thought, opinions, and advice..........I decided to only replace 1 fish finder right now and went with a Humminbird 898c SI Combo..........Now its just gonna take some time to learn it!