• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow for bow fishing is considered...

Would it be considered a weapon or part of your fishing tackle like a rod and reel? The reason I ask is Im wondering if you would get in trouble for discharging a firearm in a county park if thats what a bow is considered.

The thing about this is it seems a lot of cities don't have a specific law or rule pertaining to bowfishing. You speak to an individual and that individual makes a judgement call. If you called the next day and speak with someone else, you may get the opposite answer. I've run into this so what I do is send my question in an email. When I receive a written response giving me permission, I print it out, laminate it and keep with me in case I get questioned.

If they have a firearms ordinance the bow would be illegal because it fires a projectile

Does this mean it's technically illegal for a lot of people in the Metro to target practice with their bows in their backyard? Because I see that happening a lot.

Yes, so is driving 31 mph in a 30 mph zone as well taking a pencil from work. Common sense and the absence of blatant disregard can often mitigate these "laws" from being enforced.

I wasn't meaning to instigate anything. I agree it's a common sense issue, I wouldn't expect to see target practice with a firearm in a metro backyard. That's why I think there should be a difference between regulation of bows and guns despite both firing projectiles. I can't remember the last time I heard of a homicide on the news with the weapon of choice being a bow and arrow let alone one with a limited range as it's tethered to the bow. Someone's more likely to be stabbed with a knife in the tackle box than shot with a bow, and the knife is still perfectly legal.