• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Road Construction Thread

SkunkedAgain

It's fishing opener weekend but construction season opened a while ago. Post any road construction related closures that could make it difficult for all of us to reach the open waters.

I-35 is down to one lane in each direction at a couple spots between Hinckley and Duluth.

Let's also not forget about Zipper Merging. Don't be that guy "blocking" people out of the left lane. You're just ignorant if you do so!

From the MNDOT HSOforum: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/

What is the zipper merge?

When a lane is closed in a construction zone, a zipper merge occurs when motorists use both lanes of traffic until reaching the defined merge area, and then alternate in "zipper" fashion into the open lane.

Zipper merge vs. early merge benefits

Reducing differences in speeds between two lanes

Reducing the overall length of traffic backup (by as much as 40 percent)

Reducing congestion on freeway interchanges

Creating a sense of fairness and equity that all lanes are moving at the same rate

When most drivers see the first “lane closed ahead” sign in a work zone, they slow too quickly and move to the lane that will continue through the construction area. This driving behavior can lead to unexpected and dangerous lane switching, serious crashes and road rage.

Zipper merging, however, benefits individual drivers as well as the public at large. Research shows that these dangers decrease when motorists use both lanes until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in “zipper” fashion into the open lane. Watch a brief video of how it works.

So I'm supposed to merge late?

Yes! As you see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, stay in your current lane up to the point of merge. Then take turns with other drivers to safely and smoothly ease into the remaining lane. Don't worry about being "Minnesota nice." When traffic is heavy and slow, it is much safer for motorists to remain in their current lane until the point where traffic can orderly take turns merging.

Are there times when I shouldn't do the zipper merge?

When traffic is moving at highway speeds and there are no backups, it makes sense to move sooner to the lane that will remain open through construction. The bottom line is to merge when it is safe to do so.

County road 8 in LOW county (shortcut to resorts from the west) has some construction between the Rocky Point road and the Long Point road. You have to take the detour to the north. Only adds on a couple of miles.

Straight from the DOT HSOforum. (yes, copy and pasted)

All current road sonstruction projects.

Hwy 212 Dawson to Hwy 75 including 1 mile N and S on Hwy 75

Description: Resurface 8 miles of road

Construction Dates: May-Oct 2012

Traffic Impacts: Detour until Sept 1

News: Detours begin April 30

Hwy 75 Pipestone Creek to Lake Benton

Description: Resurface 13 miles of road and ADA improvements in Lake Benton

Construction Dates: July-Aug 2012

Traffic Impacts: Daily lane closures with pilot car

I-35 South of Duluth to White Bear Lake

Description: a series of six construction projects along I-35, see http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d1/projects/i35southofduluth/

Construction Dates: May to October 2013

Traffic Impacts: lane closures, down to a single lane in some places

Hwy 23 east of St Cloud is closed at Hwy 95. If you're headed east that direction you will need to detour to Hwy95 and then come north again on Hwy 25 to Foley. You can then continue east without any interuption all the way to Mora.

I believe that hwy 10 is one lane from Big Lake to Clear lake and sounds like some road construction will be from Rice to Little Falls started monday to
Good, I was just going to start this post. Yep hwy 10 is one lane and I think 94 by St, Michaels has road work as well. I'm just heading out of town to Brainerd on my bike so will be taking some back roads and will be hitting some rain as well! Good Luck on opener everyone! wink