• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Solar units for the string LED's

Tom7227

Question

Does anyone have the knowledge on what it would take to use two of the 48 inch LED strips sold at the OutDoor Pro Store here on FM and hook them up on a gel cell battery and add a solar collector to charge the setup? I want to try and put some lights on a sign where there isn't power and so they would run while it was dark outside. There's some way to figure it out with amps and volts and things like that but I'm not good at putting it all together.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

3 answers to this question

Well I have spent some time checking on this and now I know why no one has responded. First discovery is that the rope lights won't work because you can't bend them enough. I found a place that sells little strings of LEDs and just a quick estimate revealed that I would be using around 8625 mA as a draw. So, assuming that draw how long would a standard 9 amp gel sell power that setup? Maybe not at all or for a very short time. Assuming it would power it how long would it last and only get the battery to 50%, and then what size solar cell would be needed to get the battery back up to 100% during 1 day?

I am quickly coming to the realization that even if this is possible the cost would likely be prohibitive.

Anyone know about this sort of thing?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

They draw 8625 ma? That is almost 9 amps. You would need a trolling motor type deep cycle to run them.

Would you recheck that current draw? The calculation is pretty simple. Multiply the current draw in amps (there 1000 ma to an amp) times the hours it needs to run to get amp hours. Compare that to the battery capacity.

The solar panel calculation is similar, although you ought to derate the answer since the panel doesn't track the sun and sometimes it is cloudy.

I saw a solar charger that puts out 15 watts or about an amp for about 100 bucks. That would charge your 9 amp hour gel cell, at least in the summer.

Have you considered one of the solar flood lights that are available? I have one for the flag on my dock, and I have seen them on flagpoles as well.