• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Blog

Wayne Ek

For anyone who is interested I will be writing a Tournament Bass Blog for HSO this season. The plan is to blog about each tournament I fish this season. The blog will cover each day of pre-fishing, which should be one or two days depending on which tournament it is; then cover how the tournament day went. Joe set the blog up for me and it should be listed at the bottom of the home page. It will start off slow, but once the Minnesota bass season opens it should be updated almost weekly. Right now it looks like I will be fishing 14-local tournaments and 11-regional tournaments. The first day of pre-fishing for the Okiboji Open is now up.

How do you rig a Lake Fork Ring Fry? Wacky? Texas?

Here is the outfit I use on docks. The rod is a 6'6" Okuma C-3 Carbon Cone, Med-Hvy (10 to 20-pound line)with a Okuma VSystem reel. With 50-pound Power Pro line.

full-1393-20624-102_0546.jpg

This is the rigging: An Eagle Claw Shaw Grigsby High-Performance Hook, size 3/0 to 5/0 depending on the plastic. And a Water-Gremlin Bull-Shot bullet weight. The Bull-Shot is like a split shot sinker, prior to clamping is down on the line I like to add a little fishing glue, this keeps it on the line better.

full-1393-20626-102_0547.jpg

With the Ring Fry on it: On the Eagle Claw hook you need to tie to the opposite side of the clip wire as the hook doesn't have a closed eyelet. And if you tie to the wrong side the line will slip thru the eyelet space... can you say so long fish.

full-1393-20632-102_0553.jpg

So do you use the Bull-Shot, versus just a weighted hook, so nose dives?

Yup, it nose dives. But experience has shown me I that I get far more bites when it's on the bottom. The second reason for the bull shot is the shape, when you have an errant skip and end up over bars,ropes, cords and such the bullet head slides over them much better. The third reason, with the extra weight on the head, the skips go a little further and stay closer to the water... most of the time.

Winning is good! Very interesting reading your blog Wayne. I have fished against your partner quite a bit back in the day. It is cool to see how other fisherman attack a body of water. I am fascinated by the fact that on a given tournament day, a bunch of fisherman find different fish in different areas on the same body of water. All the while, each individual might only have one or two good spots they have confidence in. Maybe the lesson for all of us is to cover more water and keep our mind open.