• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fields vs woods

nbadger23

The areas I turkey hunt here in SE MN are mostly fence lines with small woodlots surrounded by large fields. I've gotten used to being able to get a vantage point and if nothing else, be able to see birds a distance off and at least be scouting if they aren't around me. I hunted in Wisconsin last week and it was a totally different adventure. I sat on multiple 40 acre fields that were surrounded by woods and only once saw any turkeys in the fields and those two gobblers only wanted to gobble back at me as they walked the other way to property I didn't have permission on. I didn't even seem to notice many tracks in the fields.

I'm wondering about a few things related to this. First off, the soil was very sandy where I was at and I'm wondering if a newly planted corn field in that type of soil simply doesn't hold a lot of bugs? Second, most of the fields didn't have the usual greened up drainage ditches I'm used to. The one field that did is the only field I saw birds in. It seems these hold bugs a lot better? I really thought the alfalfa field I hunted on a few times would bring birds in, but it didn't seem to. However, the stuff was REALLY tall due to the recent rain activity so it was touch to even see a bird. We barely put the tips of the stakes of our decoys in the ground in an effort to keep the decoys up high enough to see.

It was quite a change based on what I usually see here. My gut is telling me that the fields simply didn't hold food for them? On a related note, would a pasture with fresh (and old) horse droppings be a good food source?

Turkeys are a woodland bird.

Turkeys use fields when it suits them, but in most cases they prefer to be in the woods for food, for shelter, etc.

Hunters like fields for visibility, for ease, for setup. Turkeys like fields when they can't trust their hearing in the woods and when they want to feed or strut. Not much else. If they can do those things in the woods, they will.

That makes sense. I had some people tell me that they prefer to be in wide open fields because they can see any danger that might be coming, as opposed to the woods where visibility might be limited. I'm having some problems learning how to scout birds properly. I need to do some reading and learn more about their preferred foods and then just put some miles in walking. I'm amazed when I hear someone say that they have the birds patterned because in a wooded environment, I have a real hard time finding them. I think I need to do scouting much earlier in the year when there isn't as much cover and I can see them from a distance. It sure would be easier if they followed trails like deer :-)

They do occasionally follow trails like deer. As far as patterning them, they typically have the same roots area unless they get bumped from the area. Turkeys love mast crops such as acorns, butternut etc. Its easy to see where they've been scratching through the leaves.

In the open, they like cattle pastures because they will pick through the cowpies. Strut zones and dusting bowls are usually in the open, but can be in the woods if they offer enough visibility.

And of course, just when you think you've got them figured out, they do something totally different and remind you that they are a wild animal whose main goal in life is to not be eaten. Its good that turkeys can't smell or they would be unhuntable.

I was glad to find this post. I have only turkey hunted twice over by Albany. Everyone always told me you need to have open fields to set up and hunt. This past winter I have seen more turkey than deer up north, Mille Lacs area, so I applied up there. Last three weeks I have seen nothing and was questioning my decision. I have seen so many up there the past few years so I know they are there, I was just way too focused on open fields. This is really stupid as they were walking thru the front yard last year eating acorns and bird seed. Good luck everyone, I know I am jacked to just be up north!!! Hunting is even better!!

Like Powerstroke said they spend a lot of time in the woods. However, they do prefer open fields, pastures, roads when they are strutting or in the rain. Seems that they spend more time in fields when there is a light to moderate rainfall.

Thanks Borch. I do have one area that is close to a pasture and some clear cut areas. I was just so surprised to see them in the woods like I have. My mom's is 8 miles from me in woods and I see a ton of birds over there too, but those are always on the side of the road. Normally close to a creek and lower ground. Just not what I thought was turkey grounds, but I am apparently still young enough to learn new tricks!! all winter I had seen groups of 30+ birds in a couple different areas. Like I said previously, have not seen squat for at least 3 weeks. I have my mom doing recon with the locals up there this week for me.

Flocks will be redistributing from larger flocks of toms or hens/jakes into smaller bunches as turkey get into their spring routines.

It's not unusual losing track of them are they redistribute themselves.

I learn new stuff every year. I still make mistakes as well.

Yep I concur, this morning I watched a flock of maybe 75 or more and 1 nice tom had 1 lone hen on the gravel road showing her his mojo, the rest were maybe 25 yards away chowing down. They will be splitting up soon, I still have the same gang of 10 toms chowing birdseed daily together as of yesterday, but now the snow/ice is vanishing pretty good now and after Saturdays rain that should nearly end it here near Mille Lacs, now if I only would've applied and maybe got drawn, but OTC may happen later, depends on what the youngsters do that I'm taking out, if they connect 4 kids, I'm skipping this season.

I have shot 7 birds since I have started turkey hunting. Every bird was shot in a field. I will hunt a field every chance I get.

I have never shot a bird in a field or food plot. My son has shot one that we called off the roost into a field edge, and he's killed more than his share for a 9 year old or for that matter more than most 40 year olds.

CW

Over the last 5 seasons I've seen close to 20 birds shot.Of that only 2 were taken in a woods.....We generally find were the birds roost and travel then head out in the morning and pop up a blind in the middle of the field.Overcast and rainy days are better out in the open.

Easily 80% of all my birds are taken along field edges. Birds seem to use edges as travel coridors. I let my decoys work for me during the mid day times when gobbling activity is mostly non-existant.

I've snuck up on birds in fields, not sure I've ever been very successful at killing them there though. I HATE sitting on decoys, no patience for it. One time my brother belly crawled a good 50yd through grass just tall enough to not be seen in to get in range of a gobbler in a wide open field. That was fun to watch.

its about 3-to-1 woods to fields for me.

but i spend a lot more time hunting in the woods. i have a couple of big timbers to hunt with roosting ridges more than a hundred yards away from the nearest field. a lot of days i never set up on a field. and i've taken quite a few toms mid-morning or later deep in the timber.

i also have a few places to hunt where smaller woodlots are surrounded by crop fields and/or pastures. there its more likely to call them into a field.