• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'88 40 HP Mariner 2st problems tiller

Dkoy

I have an 88 40 HP mariner tiller that is starting to act up. Over the weekend I noticed the engine starting to sputter when in idle. It will sputter every few seconds or so until it kills the motor. If i give it gas in idle, it won't kill the motor, but will keep sputtering. It will also kill the motor when running at low speeds also. When I put it in gear and throttle up, it will run dogged. I ran it dogged over for a good while an it will clear up here there allowing to run at expected speeds but after slowing down or restarting, it will go back to the same issues. The bulb was hard, so no loss of pressure. I have not pulled the plugs to check yet, but I am planning to tonight. Speaking to some coworkers, it could be carbs?

I am looking to dig in probably tonight. I do have the manual for it so hopefully if I have to do more than plugs, it will help. Any suggestions?

If it is carb, I read that you should get a carb kit also? Any place that sells kits locally? First time having to do this and this motor has worked perfectly for 6-7 years. Has started with the first turn of the key. I did notice this year that I had to choke it to start, but still starts in first or second turn of key.

Could be dirt in the carbs try some sea-foam mixed in with the gas might be all you need.

If it is the carbs you should beable to get a rebuild kit at just about any merc/mariner dealer.

I would also look at the fuel filter it may be dirty or the gas may be bad also.

If you rebuild the carb and it still does it look at the fuel pump it should be a diaphram pump and they are pretty easy to rebuild also.

Issue has been resolved. I went in to a local mpls merc dealer to get a carb kit and new filter. I spoke with Craig, who insisted to try another solution first. I drained the carb bowls and pushed about a quart of new gas through to clean out any bad gas. Took the boat out on friday and it ran like new. Thanks guys. Fishing this past weekend is another story.