• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a Rod. Suggestions?

yegge17

I just picked up a Citica E from Gander, since they had it on sale. I'm looking to pair it up with a rod, but just don't know which ones. I'll be mostly flipping and cranking.

Lets keep the price just under $110.

Well, you will have to pick flipping or cranking. What gear ratio reel did you get?

If im not mistaken the Citica only comes in 6.3:1.

Yegge17, Cecil is correct though. You would want to decide whether you would prefer a Flippin combo or a Crankin' combo. You'd want differant rod actions for each one

I just picked up a Citica E from Gander, since they had it on sale. I'm looking to pair it up with a rod, but just don't know which ones. I'll be mostly flipping and cranking.

Lets keep the price just under $110.

Ok now that we know that Tonka and Cecil are a little "off".. I would take a look at the Shimano Compre rod, it will be in that price range.. as for length and type, that will be up to you.. I stand by what Cecil stated and say that honestly unless you are throwing large deep diving cranks, a flippin stick is not the best gun for the job, and your normal run of the mill crankbait rod is not all that adept at flipping. Can it be done.. by all means yes.. If looking for a do all rod.. 7' MH.. fast tip.

Can you guys give me your ideal setup for flipping and then for cranking? I'm kind of in the same situation with a rodless Citica and I haven't decided what rod to pair it with yet. I'll probably go with a 7' Compre, just not sure what action or line weight yet. I've got last year's Citica so it's a 6.3.

Last year I ended up using a 7' heavy action rod with 30lb Powerpro for throwing cranks a lot. I set the rod up for fishing slop and spinnerbaits, but it could cast so much farther than the rod I had set up for crankbaits that I just used it for everything. The crankbait rod has an older Citica with a 6'6" med action rod with 14lb mono. I seemed to lose a lot of crankbait fish on the rod with PP.

Can you guys give me your ideal setup for flipping and then for cranking? I'm kind of in the same situation with a rodless Citica and I haven't decided what rod to pair it with yet. I'll probably go with a 7' Compre, just not sure what action or line weight yet.

Medium/Mod-Fast Compre TC4.

My fave cranking stick is a CUCC7'7"M.. Shimano Cumara Reaction series rod.. 7'7", Med/Fast.. I also like the 7' MH Shiamno Crucial TC4 rod.

for flipping/pitching, I have a 7'6" MH ExtraFast Shimano Crucial Flippin stick. I also have a shimano Cumara 7'2" MH XF.. And just picked up a G'Loomis 7'5" MH XF NRX that I am quite pleased with.. yet that one is quite a bit more expensive.

Quote:
I seemed to lose a lot of crankbait fish on the rod with PP.

This does not surprise me much.. it would surprise me more if you said you didnt loose a lot of fish.. On a lure where it supplies its own action(like a crankbait) the fish will come up from the side/behind and flare its gills and inhale.. something has to give, maybe its the line, or a softer tipped rod, but if nothing gives(heavy rod and no stretch line) then you end up missing the fish all together or just end up lip/skin hooking the fish.. so that when it makes its first run it pulls out or jumps off easier..

My fave cranking stick is a CUCC7'7"M.. Shimano Cumara Reaction series rod.. 7'7", Med/Fast.. I also like the 7' MH Shiamno Crucial TC4 rod.

for flipping/pitching, I have a 7'6" MH ExtraFast Shimano Crucial Flippin stick. I also have a shimano Cumara 7'2" MH XF.. And just picked up a G'Loomis 7'5" MH XF NRX that I am quite pleased with.. yet that one is quite a bit more expensive.

You like the XF action for your jigging/flipping? I've got a 7'0'' MH/XF St. Croix Legend Tournament and I wish I had gone with just a fast action. My Thought was with the XF action I'd get into the meat of the blank alot faster to stick the fish but what I've found is that its more difficult to get the fish to the boat when the rod doesn't have any give to it (I think it gives the fish better leverage to toss the jig).

I was just in the same boat for a cranking rod. I don't bass much but last year I picked up a ton of bass cranks and I all I had were mxf or mhxf rods. I've been recommended by a lot of people to check out the shimano line, they currently got some deals on those rods locally if you look(20% off). I went with a dobyns glass since someone I work with swore by their line and 705 & 765(?) series. I wanted something that hopefully can throw smaller cranks and med size cranks. If you shop around online, a shop or two out in california have them on sale currently way below retail so I went that route. I didn't buy from them but had it priced matched at another well kown online retailer out west, oh and no tax, free shipping.

Quote:
You like the XF action for your jigging/flipping? I've got a 7'0'' MH/XF St. Croix Legend Tournament and I wish I had gone with just a fast action. My Thought was with the XF action I'd get into the meat of the blank alot faster to stick the fish but what I've found is that its more difficult to get the fish to the boat when the rod doesn't have any give to it (I think it gives the fish better leverage to toss the jig).

its all personal preference. Ive always said what works for one may not be so great for another.. Ill take either, XF or F.. on some blanks I feel the F the tip is just a hair too soft and makes it hard for flipping thick hooks to get a full hook set.. I also prefer to use mono or floro than braid though too..

Stiffer rods are better for hooksets. 3 things that can go wrong with jigs, crappy jig design, rod too soft, too slow on the hookset. If you use a jig that pins them good, set the hook like you got a pair...you should hardly ever lose a fish.

With the rod you have above i wouldn't use it for anything bigger than a 1/4oz jig.

That LTB seems to fish a little lighter than the IMX843's i use. I wouldnt use anything heavier than a 3/8oz jig on an 843. If i use 1/2oz or bigger i go right to the IMX904.

Consider what you have to combat when using a jig. Large head prone to opening a fish's mouth, stiff weedguard, and the tendency of most new trailers these days to flip over the hooks. A lot could go wrong.

If I had one rod for Flipping it would be an 854 GlX Loomis because its the bees knees. If I had one for cranking it would be a 7' med fast action Avid because it is also the bees knees smile

They better be the bees whole leg for what they cost wink

I just wish I was good enough to fish with the bees knees. That must be a real skill tonka. The avid he mentions though is an amazing stick for the price point. I use the 7' medium fast avid for cranking with plugs up to like a DT10. i do use mono for a little give. Once you teach yourself to be patient on the strike you don't rip the hooks from a ton of fish. I bought a glass cranking rod last year and sold it after one outing. I couldn't get past how mushy it felt even with 12 pound fluorocarbon. It really is all personal preference.