• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sales Tax on boat purchase from private party in MN

Big-Al

Question

I have searched this site and others and have come up with mixed information. Hopefully someone can come up with the correct info. Do I pay sales tax on the purchase price of a titled boat when I purchase from a private party in MN? I believe at one time it was on the trailer alone. Has this changed to include the boat purchase price?

7 answers to this question

i had to pay sales tax on entire package 2 years ago, maybe it depends on which DMV you go to & who takes care of you. go to your local DMV and do whatever they say to get all propper paperwork....no matter what you will be good to go

I bought mine from a private party 2 summers ago and only paid tax on the trailer also. I know there was talk about expanding the tax to private sales on boats, but not sure if that is the case yet. More than likely it's just around the corner with internet purchases I'm afraid.

When I won the pontoon at the Governor's fishing opener 3 years ago I had to pay sales tax on the boat at the value put on it by Crestliner. I was asked what the trailer was worth and fudged on it a bit.

FYI the rig was valued at $32,500 by Crestliner and by the time I was done I paid over $14,000 in income taxes, sales tax, registration and licensing. Heck of a deal. I was told that I was the only person in the history of the opener that took the offered rig. I had a great line of home equity credit, a truck to pull it, and a lake to put it on.