• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If They Could Only Talk...

Agreed, imagine the stories those walls could tell if only they could talk. Sorry to hijack the thread for a minute. I went to my great-grandfathers 98th birthday party yesterday and he was telling stories of how it was during the depression and of turning over acres of land with nothing but a horse and plow. Now you see farmers with 36 row planters and huge chisel plows. Boy have things changed.

I love photographing old buildings, old farmsteads and barns especially. I did a bunch in black and white years ago that I really enjoyed. The historic cool looking buildings are getting a little harder to find but still enough around to pull the truck over once in a while.

Very nice shot.

ccarlson

Good Job!

Those old dwellings make me wonder how many times this place was added onto as the orignals family grew and changed. You picture looks like this place may have seen 4 or 5 additions before it was left to time.

I always thought it would be a neat idea to tell these old buildings' stories. Perhaps a "History of Abandoned Buildings in Beltrami County". Or whatever county u want to photograph. It would probably make a better coffee table book than anything else because the pictures really tell a lot of the story, but a few paragraphs to fill in who lived there and what we know about those people would be worthwhile to include.

I spend a lot of time on the highways and biways of North Dakota, Minnesota and South Dakota for my job and for my pleasure. I used to see barns everywere that were all dilipatated and falling apart. Now with the shortage of tillable land and with high corn and bean prices, a lot of farmers and demoloshing old home sites, and buildings to make more ground to till. A lot of this has to do also with the size of machinery today, it is to hard to turn around some of the massive sprayers, and tillage equipment so the old buildings and rows of trees with hidden treasures left in them are slowly making way to more farm land. It is unfortunate but it is progress, so all the more reason to get out and photograph those old beautys.