• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I was thinking they were sulfur shelves/chicken of the woods as these have pores, not veins/gills, but I thought I read they are out in the fall...

I have found a few morels and even a puffball, but not familiar with these other ones yet.

ok, to the OP--it could be, would need to do a spore print.... FOR SURE NOT A CHANT!!! If I had to guess i think its an imature Dryad's Saddle...

To Darkie I need to see the gills of the underside of the top 3.. I'd hate to say they are for sure.. but from the tops look like Oyster Mushrooms.. which are delish.. . They should have large forked gills like in this image.

Oyster_Mushrooms.jpg

as for the bottom pict.. there are far to many ones that look like that, that will make you sick I dont chance it.

2011-05-29_16-02-08_774.jpg here is another pict of some oysters I picked last year.. you can see the gill pattern better..

if they are oysters, there are no look alikes that I know of.. soak them in salt water, you will notice a very skinny short(1/4") white worm with a black head in the water after an hour or so... safe to eat, but a tad nasty if you ask me.. LOL

Definitely NOT chanterelles!!! I would also have to guess they are dryad's saddle without being able to see them in person. If that is the case, they are edible, but not worth eating (in my opinion,) unless you like the taste and texture of boot leather. When in doubt, throw them out.

I would also have to agree those other ones look like oysters, but again, I hesitate to identify anything solely off of pictures posted on the internet. I would need to be able to see/touch/smell them in person to be confident. The smaller mushrooms in the cluster look like something I wouldn't even dare try to identify and eat.

The capped fungi you posted, nope, don't do it. The brown cups are just that, brown cups. They are edible, but not much for taste. The others, oysters for sure, cut 'em and fry 'em!! I would steer clear of the above advice of soaking them however. They are a very wet mushroom. Fry them dry to brown, let them sweat, then add butter or oil...

Better pic of the gills on the underside of a nice oyster picked yesterday...

img6572u.jpg

I brush off what I can see on the outside, then the kitchen sink sprayer becomes my best friend. After cutting I spray once more to be sure everything is gone. Then lay to dry on paper towels before frying. I don't see nearly as many bugs as it sounds like you do. Mostly the small black beetles, and some curly worms, but they all come out relatively easily with a good hard spray. I just don't let them sit in any water long enough to absorb more. They are one of the wettest 'shrooms out there...