• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catalytic Converters & the Law

Bought a 2002 Pontiac w/ 82000 miles from a big three auto dealer that I now find out has no catalytic converter on it. A pipe has bee welded in place(something I would not call temporary or for test purposes) Car has no warranty. MN law states that a vehicle can't be sold without one. Who's at fault? Me for not noticing during the inspection/test drive or dealer. Your thoughts on how to proceed. Vehicle is probably going to need additional exhaust system work.

Interesting that you don't have a check engine light. I thought all cars in the 2000 range were OBD II and had a O2 sendor in the catalytic converter. Maybe different manufactures have different setups. I had a 'test pipe' if you will on a Super Charged Honda for additional HP, but I had special computer modifications to trick the sensor to prevent a check engine light and improper fuel mapping.

Back to your question, I'd say they are at fault and should be required to set it straight for you, although it is tough to prove that it wasn't there when they sold it.

That car does have a o2 sensor ofter the cat and someone had to do something to eliminate an SES light without a converter. I would give the dealer a call and see what they say about it. I think it is up to them to sell a legal car, not you to crawl under the car to make sure the converter is there.

If I'm not mistaken there is a paragraph on the title that states the emissions system hasn't been modified and is intact, or something like that. I don't believe they can sell it that way. They probably didn't do an inspection on it. Pretty sure they will have to fix it or give you your money back in which case they might just junk it out rather than deal with it.