• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How long before Gardy is gone?

Rippinlip

"the problem I see with gardy is that he's showing that he's not the kind of mgr that is going to develop the young talent."

A major league manager's job is not to develop the talent. That should have happened in the minor leagues.

"He's showing again this year just like last year that he's not great at getting the lesser talent to perform well and there are few signs of improvement."

You might want to consider that he is, maybe, getting more out of that lesser talent than most other major league managers would. If these guys come up and can't be put in a situation where they should succeed, then they are not ready for this level. Sometimes that is forced by circumstances such as injuries. Gibson is a good example. A lot of internet experts wanted him called up at the start of the year because he was a number one draft choice. He hadn't been consistently successful at triple-a. How is he supposed to be the answer at the major league level? Most of the teams in this league must develop that talent in the minors and work them through the system. Very few can afford to buy their wins, like the Yankees.

Big disagree on this. The roster has been young for 2.5 years now and team is basically with same record as last year and 2011. So a coaching staff job doesn't include making the players to improve and quit making rokie mistakes once they hit the majors? I agree on not buying wins like the Yankees but disagree that our players are improving. All those former twin all stars and others like lliriano and Balfour who have improved since leaving the twins seems to indicate that as well.

But that's what makes for good banter on these message boards. We all want a winning team but have different opinions on how that can occur. I still think if this were any other MLB organization we would have a new interim mgr and other coaches today.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Gardy talk after the loss last night and I have never seen gardy so frustrated and bummed out. Gotta be tough to show up day after day and coach a team playoing like it is.

Just didn't seem like there was any fire left in him with the way the team is playing.

No clutch hits, poor base running and most of all, down on the starting pitching staff as they cannot seem to go 6 innings and have the Twins still in the game.

Soon, the bullpen will be worse than it is now as thier tank is running out.

Going to be a long 2nd half of the season for sure.

Perkins will be gone soon with Morneau then Gardy will even have less to work with. Called this before the season maybe they will not lose the 101 games I said but it's going to be close.

The Twins franchise is nothing more than the last step for players before they get into the Big Time.

The last blip of a Twins game I watched the announcers commented how Mauer was 0 for 17 during that home stand....then he hit a single.

Second longest active tenured coach in MLB and NEVER has been out of the ALDS.

Yea, the last few years maybe the talent has been down, but in 11 years he has had talent and never capitalized on it.

Time for a change.

3 90+ losing seasons and how attractive is the Twins going to be to anyone?

I think it was 2006, Gardy had the MVP (Morneau), Batting Champ (Mauer), 19 game winner (Santana), 36 Saves (Nathan). Others; Tori Hunter, Jason Kubel, Jason Bartlett, Jesse Crain, Francisco Liriano and Brad Radke.

He has had his chances.

Quote:

The last blip of a Twins game I watched the announcers commented how Mauer was 0 for 17 during that home stand....then he hit a single.

I know it sucks having Mauer, who has the highest career batting average of ever-single player in the Majors, 1800 players currently playing... crazy

Make no mistake this is Gardys last year.

We really haven't any reason until this point to fire any of our managers thus far as we have been pretty much the premier small market team in baseball consistantly for a long time.

Also I don't blame the stadium, the Pohlads or any of the other mythical excuses that are mentioned for our poor play again this year. I think its just the law of averages, luck catching up with us as it does and will continue to do for just about every pro sports team in the world today.

Go Twins~

Terry Ryan said the other day, Gardy is safe so to speak. Seems when the GM's states that people are safe, then they are gone shortly thereafter. Gone by next spring, heck he may quit trying to coach a medicore team at best.

You can let Gardy go but they still need quality players to win games.

I also agree Rick Anderson needs to go.

The Twins ownership keeps avg staff as they cost less. That's what Jim Pohland is all about. Does not matter if you win as long as u are making money. Gardy cannot change that nor can any other coach.

"Second longest active tenured coach in MLB and NEVER has been out of the ALDS."

And, the longest tenured coach has been to the World Series once, only two years after he took over. With as little credit you give Gardenhire for the first few years of his stint, does Scioscia really rate any better?

I think Scioscia should be fired too. With that payroll there's no excuse to be that bad (2 years in a row). But yeah, with some young guys on our team that have great potential, we need a manager to come in that can develop their talent even better.

"...We really haven't any reason until this point to fire any of our managers thus far as we have been pretty much the premier small market team in baseball consistantly for a long time."

Agree that twins could claim this title for many years but think St. Louis has got a firm grasp on that title now and Tampa bay has moved ahead of us as well as Oakland if they would be considered small market. Actually I've read a few times that twins now are more of a mid market labeled team which I suppose is very debatable.

Also agree that until now there wasn't a whole lot of reason to fire many personnel at all. Times they are a changing as someone once said.

And lastly, scioscia has had a very long leash considering the expectations over there and I'm surprised he's lasted that long.

I would guess Gardy or for that matter, any other coach could do well with the Twins if we could get back all the old Twins players we use to have that we have let go in the past 3-5 seasons that were in this years All Star Game.

But, if we could get them back, then we may need a new pitching and hitting coach. These players that left were not doing all that well with the Twins but after they left, all of a sudden, they are all stars.

makes one wonder why.

isn't gardy considered top 5 in baseball among managers by his peers? that says something. but, i agree that he's probably gone after this year. and if he goes, anderson goes.

who takes his spot is the question. molitor? bruno?

Mauer is just like Suzuki. Will always just be concerned with his batting average. Doesn't really matter if he is batting .330, when all he hits are singles with nobody on base. He could end up having the best career average as a MN Twin, but its a team sport and when your team loses 90+ games a yr, one guys batting average doesn't do jack for anybody but that player.

what this has to do with Gardy I don't know.

Getting back to the topic at hand, everything you read in star tribune sure makes it sound like once again there will be little if any accountability and he will be back next year if he wants the job. I'm hoping its propaganda.....

It wouldn't surprise me though if they don't offer him an extension but do the Minnesota nice thing and announce that he resigned. I would be good with that. (And no that doesn't make them instantly better but at least gives me hope for the future with these prospects that are the teams future hopes.)