• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crawlers?

mnguy152

ok now i got some how do I keep them growing and happy. Last year i kept them in my frig at 45 degrees and looked after them every other day. Feed them the magic bait food yellow tall can. But they seam to keep on getting smaller. I follow the directions on the can with the food on top. it seams they never touch it. So what do you guys do to keep them happy?

ok now i got some how do I keep them growing and happy. Last year i kept them in my frig at 45 degrees and looked after them every other day. Feed them the magic bait food yellow tall can. But they seam to keep on getting smaller. I follow the directions on the can with the food on top. it seams they never touch it. So what do you guys do to keep them happy?

I'm curious to hear other people's takes here, too. I did the exact same method as you did one year and had the fattest, happiest crawlers from April through October. The next year, same tactic, and they just shriveled and died on me. Not sure what the deal was...

i just dump the used grounds on top, they always find it

change bedding as needed, depends on # of crawlers to bedding ratio. 3 dzn crawlers to 1 pt of bedding should easily last a month. i usually change out when the worm holes stay formed & dont collapse

another rule is u can change dirt/bedding as u like, smart/good crawlers usually on bottom, to change have fresh bedding and dump crawlers on top, if they r good they will dig in, bad ones will be lazy & stay on top.

I always use the magic worm food & bedding. Have had good luck with it and healthy crawlers. 40 to 45 degree temps.

I usually take out a few dozen worms every day, add worm food a couple of times a week on top of bedding before I dump the unused worms back into the worm bedding. That way the food is slightly covered. They always eat it all!

Cliff

So I'm the only one that feeds my crawlers grass, leaves and other greenage? I keep 80-100 dozen in the big foam coolers that I get my steaks in. Change the beding every week or so and remove the dead ones. Mine always look fat/healthy even into Sep when I finaly run low.

You want to make sure your dirt/bedding is always moist. My dad was always a firm believer in using damp newspaper as the top cover for your dirt/bedding. It will also work as a food source for your crawlers. Always dump your crawlers on top and let them find there way down. This way you will find the weak/dead ones and throw them out. Any food should be left on top. Do not mix it in the dirt or it will turn into mold that will kill all of your crawlers.

Damp worm bedding with coffee grounds and oatmeal on top put all in the basement or garage and I have crawlers all summer long. I change the bedding as I get to it, but always keep it moist.