• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Compact carry pistol

I've been looking at a couple of the real small carry pistols and could use some opinions. I am not too big and don't have mitts for hands, so I don't mind the real small find, having less weight and easier to conceal is also a plus. I was set on the ruger lcp until I heard of a bunch of issues with it, so it is off my list. Price is a factor for me, and I have heard a couple of real good reviews of the Kel Tec 3AT. Anyone have any opinions on this gun or have other recommendations?

if you are set on a .380 I would look at the walther PK380. It is right around $350.00 for it. if you would step up to a 9MM I would look at the Ruger LC9. it is in that same price range. One other model to check out would be the Taurus Mill Pro's. They come in .32ACP,.380ACP, 9MM, .40S&W, & .45ACP.

Just got my Ruger LC9 and only had it out for one outing so far and I am going to like this gun alot.Handels nice plus the safety features are nice. Paid $379 for mine with a box of shells thrown in.

I own the kel tec p3at. Can't get much more compact. Great pocket gun, I like the long trigger pull for safety while in the pocket. Plenty accurate and comfortable to shoot. I bought mine at the forest lake gun show for $200 + tax last fall (brand new)

Will

Thanks for the replies. Most of the other pistols referenced are bigger than the two models I am looking at. When you take width and weight as a factor. Even the LC9 is much wider than the LCP. When comfort and concealment matter a lot to me, I am willing to sacrifice power and capacity for concealment. Where and when I'd the forest lake gun show that a previous poster mentioned? I am also having a hard time finding the 3AT anywhere, gander doesn't carry it and won't order one.

One that I have been thinking about is the Beretta Bobcat in 22LR. I think they were on sale at FF recently for $269. I figure that a 22 would be cheap and fun to shoot, which would lead to more practice. You should be able to slip it into a pocket holster to carry any time of year.

I really don't think the 380 or 38 have much for stopping power. Maybe multiple hits with a 22 would do as well. A gun doesn't do much good if you don't have it on you. Just my 2 cents to add to things.

I bought my wife a SCCY CPX1 in 9mm. It is modeled afer the Kel-Tec P11, if I remember right. I paid 280 for hers and that was the most expensive of the SCCYs I looked at. The thing is small, it fits in my back pocket behind my wallet. Made in the USA LIFETIME warrenty for anyone who owns it. Only got 100 rounds through it, so I dont know how itll hold up. But then again whats the difference with a lifetime warrenty.

compact glock 23.

I like the PF-9, LCP, LC9, compact XDs

this is exactly what i was goin to say any compact or subcompact glock too. Also i have a taurus millpro 9mm,personally in the same price range i would buy a different gun if i did it over again. I got it mainly cause it fit my wife but that was back before i worked around guns and really shot alot and would definately do over.

I shot the Kel-Tec PF9 this last weekend. It is a double action trigger finger pinching unit. Not something you would think about if you were in a situation where you need it. But you sure notice it target shooting. The ruger SR9c is a nice shooting compact gun, not as small as the LC9 or LCP.

I bought a Beretta Bobcat 22LR for the wife 2 years ago. Pluses are: VERY compact, easy to conceal [ about the size of a kid's squirt gun ]; 22LR is cheap accessible ammo [ I have found the CCI High Velocity shoots best ]. Extremely loud gun for its size [ scares the wife though...] Minuses: Innaccurate beyond 10 ft.; has a tendency to jam occasionally; small magazine capacity. 22LR will penetrate a vest though. I would recommend it as an excellent backup weapon, not primary though.

I shot the Kel-Tec PF9 this last weekend. It is a double action trigger finger pinching unit. Not something you would think about if you were in a situation where you need it. But you sure notice it target shooting. The ruger SR9c is a nice shooting compact gun, not as small as the LC9 or LCP.

Interesting. How was your finger getting pinched?

When it fires, the trigger resets and catches your finger between it and the front of the trigger guard. It was doing it to the three of us shooting it. The plus is it is a nice size pocket gun and the price is right.

I have both. First got the LC9 because of size, then then got a LCP because of the smaller yet size. Probably have a couple hundred rounds through each with no jams or misfires, including probably 60 or 80 rounds of Speer Gold Dot through the LCP that I've read others say they've had problems with feeding in their LCPs.

You've seen the LCP, it's a minimalist gun. Double action only, no safeties (why needed on a DAO anyway...no different than a revolver in this regard) minimal sights which is just fine because it's less snag prone and this shooter isn't designed for long range target work.