• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

West 212 to Spearfish?

Scupper

Question

Traveling to Spearfish SD this July.

I'm in the metro 5 minutes from 212. Wife wants to motor down to I-90 and proceed west. I don't have a problem with 212 but she feels more comfortable to travel the double lane freeway systems.

Hows 212 when one gets away from town? Double, single lane, speed limits???

Thanks.

Scott

12 answers to this question

I'm with pulsar, take 7 to monti and pick up 212. I just got back from Pierre and take that route every year. Good road to Redfield, thats as far as I took it,and it's 60 mph to the border and 65 from there. Two lane except through Watertown. Not a lot to see except pheasants and farmland, but a nice drive.

Nothing wrong with going through small towns. I enjoy stopping at small cafes and eating with the locals. Take one out and another back and enjoy the scenery. There is absolutely nothing to see on 90.

If you need a rest stop and you're in Watertown, stop in at the Terry Redlin Art Center. When coming in to Watertown it will be to your left after you go under I-29. Its a big building and doesn't look like it should be there. All but a few of his originals are there.

At Redfield you could drop down to Miller and go west to Pierre. Beautiful capital buildings there and Oahe Dam.If you keep going on Hwy 14 it'll eventually take you to I-90 somwhere around Wall Drug.

I lived out in Rapid City and my parents lived by Watertown so I-90 got boring. You still have to suffer through west river, SD but there are some things to see.

Mostly double to brownton, 60 mph thereafter. You could also take hwy 7 to Montevideo and hop on 212 as part of 212 between monte and granite falls may be detoured then.

Yep. This is the best route...this is the route I use when I have to travel to the Twin Cities.

You can stay on 212, but it will get awfully sparse (and the road is not as good) once you get west river. Like others have said, drop down to Miller and take Highway 14 to Pierre, or take 83 south to Pierre (right after you go through Gettysburg). From Pierre, either 14 to Wall or take 83 south from Pierre and catch the interstate.

I went to school in Spearfish and traveled to and from home about 3-4 times a year. Fastest route I found was to take 169 to mankato, 60 to worthington, and Interstate 90 the rest of the way.

212 and hwy 34 in SD are not bad choices, but you can usually bet on a good chunk of road construction during the summer months smile