• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallie Spawn

So with the early Spring this year what do you guys "up north" across the border think about the smallie spawn? Is it going to be done the end of May?

Things are ahead by a good 2 weeks down here. Morels are already almost done!

It will vary a lot on a lake to lake basis, but I expect it to be the best still the first 2 weeks of June. Walleyes were stilling running a couple days ago on a lake near me, and talking with a local bio, things are pretty close to normal even with the early ice out. When are you supposed to head up Hoffer? email if you want

Any news yet on what the smallies are doing up there guys?

Around here its been real warm, and there are reports of smallies on the beds now for awhile.

I wonder up there if the water temps are still not quite where they need to be if they will wait till this next full moon period coming up in early June?

Hoffer,

We are on Minnitaki. Walleyes are slow, but the smallies are crackin' it! Haven't caught any real big ones, but lots of 17" and under. Throwing plastics of all varieties and they are super shallow. Can't say for certain they are spawning just yet because we are casting rocks. Our normal "bed" spots don't hold any fish just yet, but this isn't a very good sight fishing lake, due to water clarity. Water temps are between 55 and 59 degrees.

Tomorrow the weather looks great so we are expecting better fish. Buddy of mine lost one tonight that cleared the water and looked to be close to 4.5 lbs, a definite "patch fish", i.e. catch and release trophy.

Post more results tomorrow!

Prov1900

Thanks for the report!!

Glad you guys are having fun and catching fish!!

From everything I have read it seems that the temp for the smallies to start moving in to spawning areas to stage is around that 55 to 59 degrees, and they start to actually spawn when it gets a little warmer that that. You must be catching some of those that are staging now. I am sure its only going to get better. You also have to figure that if your temp gauge is showing that - its mainly surface temp and the real temp where they are swimming around is probably a little cooler. I suspect they will continue to move in and the next week or so start making beds.

Report back again - fun to hear what is going on! I wish I was there!

Superbee

thats kind of good news.

Maybe they will be waiting till thatnext full moon June 4th.

My bet is they will start pretty darn soon though. Probably this weekend.

Hows the walleye fishing been??

The groups we have had in so far have been primarily targeting trout and smallmouth. They have been getting walleyes though in the shallows, but weren't really targeting them. Just catching a gew for meals. I will be getting more reports soon and will keep you updated.

Great day! Finally caught an "over", i.e. 18.25, so I can collect my catch and release patch after all these years trying. I have several laker and northern patches, but now can collect the smallie patch. Caught lots of smallies today after taking a couple of days off, trying to catch eyes. Everything was on today. Shout out to Big Bite Baits Warmouth. Those are awesome! Smallies still not quite on the beds, but they are very, very close.

I just got back from Tetu and the water temps have been running 59-60 degrees. We found samllies right tight to the rocks in sandy areas soaking up the sun and cramming their bellies full of minnows. I saw only one bed and it looked too big to be a smallie bed.

On the flat calm, sunny hours they were there but without the sun they seemed to pull back a bit. We caught mostly males with the largest being 18 inches. We may have lost a couple that were a tick larger but nothing I would call a 20.

Supposedly they're expected to peak within the next two weeks. We had a multi-species blast! cool