• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glastron starting and dying question

Comet

When I start the motor it fires right up and then dies as soon as I stop cranking the engine. I remember my brother had a similar issue and they took it in and they connected a wire that was loose. 5 minutes 100 dollars. He can not remember what they did. I am looking for suggestions on where to start tracking this down.

Comet,what engine do you have?

Im going to assume its an inboard/outdrive?

If it is, depending on how old, it can be a couple things. Most common being the key switch itself.

I wont go any further until I know for sure what you have

Yes Boatfixer it is an inboard/Penta sterndrive. From your first pass idea do you think it is possibly a loose wire behind the key? Seems odd the boat started right off all the time and the next time I went to use it the thing started and died as soon as I quit turning the key. You may be onto something.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Comet

its possible, yes, check the wiring and check to see iif you have 12 volts leaving the switch in the run position. If all that checks out ok Then the next thing Id do is start at the ignition side of the coil and check for voltage using a meter rather than a light so as to know the actual voltage with the key in the run position. If its a point ignition, some of those older AQ's used a resister that is bypassed while cranking. So if the resister failed, you would have spark while cranking and none in the run position.