• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trying new things, time of the year.

I have asked about the sights and I appreciate the feed back.

Some more questions:

The sight I am looking at the HHA OL5019 is a single pin adjustable, I like it for target shooting and for all the 3D's we shoot. Is there a real big drawback for hunting situations?

About the only one I can think of is the deer never end up being at the magical 20 yards, if my pin is set there.

How about releases, I only have shot the wrist sling type's, but considering going to a hand grip with a thumb release.

I would like to keep both hands free if I need to make an adjustment with the sight and wear mittens during those unbelievable cold days until the "time" comes to release an arrow.

Any thoughts and the adjustable sight or release?

Is the thunb release going to change my draw length?

Any experience, good or bad with the thumb release?

My wife and I are patiently waiting on our new bows and I would like to have it all together at once and grow into the learning all at once.

Atleast I have the rest and broadhead figures out.....I think. grin

I will comment on the sight. I have an HHA single pin and have used it for about the last 12-14 years on my hunting bows. I think I am maybe on my 3erd one. The only reason I bought more than one was because of up-grades over the years. HHA is about as bullet proof as it gets.

I went with the single pin because I got tired of the confusion with pins. A lot of that I am sure is easier now with the faster bows but, for a few years, I needed a few pins to get me out to just 45 yards with my slower rigs. And exact pin placement was very critical.

I never had any problems using the slider on the sight to adjust for shots when needed. In most cases now I just have my pin set for about 25 yards and I am fine in the areas I hunt. I rarely adjust the sight unless deer are for instance over 30 yards out. I spend my season in Wisconsin so every year I end up taking a few deer. I also spend every chance I can hunting the rut and have never yet had a problem using my sight on bucks that come rambling in from places the aren't supposed to be.

Once you get use to the sight I am confident you will like it and very likely you will never use anything else. I know I won't.

WS

Once you get use to the sight I am confident you will like it and very likely you will never use anything else. I know I won't.

Careful Whopper- never is a really long time, especially in the archery world! wink I shot an HHA for about a decade, but made a switch to Black Gold this year. Not really because I had any problem, but because I wanted a new sight and HHA went away from multi-pin adjustable sights.

Although I agree with virtually everything Whopper said, I had/have some of the same concerns as you Rip. One of the big pros for single pin sights is that they remove the possibility of confusion regarding which pin to use. I've never had a problem with this (knock on wood), so more than one pin doesn't bother me. However, I like to practice at long ranges so I feel even more confident at shorter ranges. To accomplish this, I need an adjustable sight. So... I shoot a multi-pin adjustable sight. Unfortunately, HHA quit making their multi-pin adjustable sight a few years ago. In the last 30 years of bowhunting I can only think of a handful of times when I really was glad I had multiple pins. That being said, opportunities in bowhunting don't come along all that often (if you're picky about what you shoot), so a handful of times are a big deal to me. So, I shoot a multi-pin adjustalbe sight.

One FYI that you should know about HHA is that they are known for having a little rust on them. Particularly in the places where bolts hold them down/in place. Not everyone has this issue, but it's extremely common. I had it and it never caused me any problems at all, but thought I'd give you a heads up about it.

I shoot a thumb release and always have (as long as I've been shooting a release). My draw length is about the same regardless of which style release I use. I love my thumb release and wouldn't trade it for any pointer-finger style release. Without a doubt, I shoot a thumb release better. But like I said, I'm used to it... One con to warn you about is that thumb releases are easier to screw up in the field. They get dirty/rusty easier than the alternative. If the inside of your release gets all mucked up or damp, you may have problems down the road. I ran into this at one point and was convinced that I had acquired target panick- in fact I just had a screwed up release. Thank goodness!!!

Quote:
Unfortunately, HHA quit making their multi-pin adjustable sight a few years ago.

Check out the 2012 lineup Scoot!

Oil up all those bolt heads and moving accessory parts a few times a year and especially before/after rains and the rust issues will disappear. My old rig had rust all over it when I finally sold it after 4 years. It was then I vowed to correct the issue keep my rig looking new.

Check out the 2012 lineup Scoot!

Oil up all those bolt heads and moving accessory parts a few times a year and especially before/after rains and the rust issues will disappear.

Those dirty buggers!!! I spoke with them a couple years ago and they told me there was no plan to bring back a multi-pin adjustable sight. If they made a multi-pin option with the round drum for adjustment (which they now do), I'd have stuck with an HHA. Oh well... Nothing wrong with trying new things I guess.

Regarding the oiling of the bold heads etc., that doesn't seem right to me. I really like their product and I'm certainly not trying to bad mouth it, but the rust simply comes too easily IMO. There should be no need to add stinky oil to my bowhunting rig on a regular basis... Again, I like HHA a bunch, but this is a drawback of their product (and all products have cons and limitations).

It's odorless! Don't you remember the product spotlight I did on the Limbsaver oil pen a year or so back? smile

I've had the bolts from Ripcords, string suppressors, & other other non-HHA accessories show surface rust over the years too. I agree, the HHA's are a little wimpy in that regard, but a little prevention goes a long way. Small sacrifice for a great sight IMO!

Back to the OP in regards to the thumb release... I've tried a few over the years, one being a Jimi T and the other a TruBall Pro Diamond Extreme. I shot okay with them but ultimately couldn't get comforable with either and went back to a index-triggered Scott release. Shoot what's comfortable to YOU!

I also am a huge fan of the HHA slider sight. So far I haven't fun into a situation where I didn't have the time to move my pin when I needed it. That being said the small handful of times its happened, I was able to move it and aim down the sight at ONE pin. I changed to the single pin slider after muffing two shots on deer by picking the wrong pin in the heat of the moment. Call it tunnel vision or target panic or whatever, but having 3 pins was too much in the way.

After running my setup through some archery software, I know that all things being equal, when my pin is set at 28yds, I am never more than 2" high or low out to 34yds. So, a single pin covers out to 30-34yds. 95% of my shots have been under 20yds so that is more than perfect.

I've never tried a thumb release, but most shops will let you test drive a release at the range. Go for it.

It's odorless! Don't you remember the product spotlight I did on the Limbsaver oil pen a year or so back? smile

I agree, the HHA's are a little wimpy in that regard, but a little prevention goes a long way. Small sacrifice for a great sight IMO!

I forgot about them! I wish I would have had that over the last decade or so...

Yes, I totally agree SNS- it is a small price to pay for a great product. They're also a great company to deal with if you ever have any issues.

I have 5019 and a 5519 and the 5519 is worth the few extra $ , If u play around with guessing your hold over ( set at 20 and need to shoot 40 yard ) that will build on your hunting practice but most the time u have time to range and slide your site . Single pin arnt for everyone but I love them !

I don't think I will go back to multiple pins I love the single pin slider. I hate to admit it but the reason I switched was because I use the wrong pin on a buck of a lifetime and shot over his back. blushmad So now I don't have that excuse anymore. I set mine at 23 yards for me that works from zero to 30 yards with being no more then a inch high or low. Another advantage is you don't get the pin clutter and allows you to concentrate better plus you can get by with a slightly larger peep opening which helps during those low light periods.

Their is one that I will not recommend and that is the g5 with a single fixed and the bottom floating pin. With the design of the moveable pin it covers most of your target and I almost needed a light to shoot it on a cloudy day. I bought it and only had it on a few hours before I returned it for the HHA optimizer elite. 2c

Their is one that I will not recommend and that is the g5 with a single fixed and the bottom floating pin.

I totally agree. Not only do they need a lot of light, but the design of the sight is fatally flawed. The bottom pin swings in an arc, which makes your left and right change, depending upon the distance you're at (when using the swinging pin). Not good... It's a very cool idea, but the design doesn't cut it.