• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Say hello to my little friend

Dotch

full-1225-20938-img_20120527_00093.jpg

full-1225-20939-img_20120527_00096.jpg

full-1225-20940-img_20120527_00092.jpg

This is getting kinda like watching Bonanza every Sunday night when I was a kid. Glad they have the reruns on TV Land in case I missed one when I got sent to bed early for being naughty, but I digress. The baby kestrels are all still in there as you can see and in a week's time, have grown the characteristic brown feathers of young kestrels on their back. They were quiet this time but ready to take a hunk out of me if I dared stick my finger or hand in there. Not sure if that was because they were hungry or just ready to defend themselves. I didn't try it as my intrusion into their little world once a week is more than enough human contact. Again it looked as though the male was soaring overhead today, expressing an opinion about my presence. Good thing he didn't come after me like a tree swallow or he'd probably be feeding a piece of my ear to the young 'uns.

The last photo of course isn't of a kestrel it's of a killdeer nest I almost stepped on. The piece of trimmer string & snowfence is to keep me and the neighbor from accidentally squashing it. Tough to see otherwise. Couldn't figure out why all week the killdeer had been doing the broken wing routine to lure me away from something as I walked toward the barn at our offsite pasture. Saw no babies so was puzzled. Now I know...

Your family is growing so fast.

Funny you should mention Bonanza. My mother and I were actually discussing old TV shows that I used to watch with my grandmother, and Bonanza was the first one mentioned. I really didn't get into As the World Turns or Edge of Night. smile

full-1225-21102-img_20120603_00104.jpg

Looks like this might be the last installment for the kestrel nesting box photo ops, at least by me anyway. Got a little later than I would've liked so I quick jumped in the Gator and motored down to the wetland around dusk. Figured I would slowly open the observation door and when I did, one of the little twerps fluttered out and landed in the grass about 10' from the nesting box. I quickly closed the door and retrieved the bird. I had forgotten my leather gloves in my haste and was concerned he or she might test out that formidable looking little beak on my mitt. Luckily it did not and I stuffed it back in the hole with its brood mates. Rather than risk any more escapees, I stuck the cell phone in the entrance hole and snapped it. Was tough to tell by the pictures if they're all still in there but if I was a betting man, I'd say they are. It's awfully crowded and looking at the walls of the nesting box in the photo, it's a holy mess. They are fully feathered and getting the up close and personal look at the one escapee, I'd say in excellent health. The parents did a remarkable job of caring for them and I was just fortunate they allowed me to watch their little family grow. They're almost ready to leave the nest and they'll probably be gone by next Sunday. Will check to see. smile Oh yeah, killdeer was still on the nest as of yesterday. Gotta be getting close there too. Not much of a nest to stay in though. grin

Epilogue: They did it! They fledged! Unfortunately however at the expense of MN Shutterbug who was hoping for a photo shoot of the adults yesterday. Upon his arrival we hopped in the Gator, trekked down to the wetland and unloaded his gear. Just to make sure they were still in the nesting box I tapped on it to see if they were home. I didn't hear the usual scratching and bumbling around inside so I slowly opened the inspection door and they had skidaddled already. I couldn't believe in two days time they had delevoped enough wing strength to fly but apparenty they had. Shortly after that we witnessed the male sailing high overhead apparently scouring the soybean fields for potential prey. With all the volunteer corn, soybean fields are loaded with hawk nummies of all kinds. Mike decided to stay down in the wetland a while to see if he could get a shot of them while I went back up to do the chores. Just one of those days that was not meant to be although he indicated the youngsters likely had made it into the trees in the fenceline as that's where the adults kept going to. After an hour or so he phoned and I went back to retrieve him. Disappointing that we were weren't able to supply the photo op we had hoped but it made me happy to know that what had not all that long ago been little fuzzballs were now on the wing. Will be watching to see if any of them appear in the yard or pasture.

Actually, I spent 2 hours out there. smile It was a nice day to be out and it was enjoyable watching them hunt. Just wish they wouldn't hunt from such a high altitude. Wildlife photography is a lot like fishing - there is never a guarantee you'll come home with something so just may as well enjoy the experience.

Well folks, Mike may not have come away with photos he was satisfied with but after I made that last post he sent me 3 photos that I was very pleased with. One shows a kestrel flying with a mouse in its beak, another illustrates the aerodynamics, grace and beauty of these small falcons in flight and one I had to enjoy: A tree swallow with some sort of insect in its beak sitting on an electric fence post. If he chooses to post them here, that's up to him. I hope he does. I thought they captured the kestrel goings on well. They are all business when it comes to caring for their young. smile

I agree and was so happy to see Mike posted the pictures. Even though I am so not a photographer, I understand. When I think my product wasn't as good as I would've liked whether it's writing, garden produce, lamb, etc., I tend to be a little gun shy about sharing it. Often times however, I find I've been too hard on myself and later discover the effort was appreciated more than I ever imagined. That's certainly the case here. Everyone who has seen that second photo in particular has been wowed by it. Even Mrs. Cheviot who thinks I'm nuts with all this wildlife stuff was impressed and that's saying something. Nice job Mike and thank you for taking the time to drive all the way down here. This makes the third year the kestrels have used that nesting box so I suspect they'll be back again next year. Now we understand better how they operate (they didn't necessarily follow the rule book), hopefully you can come back and really get some excellent stuff then. smile

And oh yeah, the kestrels were still chattering away in the trees on the fenceline when I was weeding garden last night. Brought a smile to my face knowing they were on patrol. wink