• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin C&R Season

BDawg23

Anyone else headed to the Northern Zone this weekend to chase bass? I will be up in the Hayward area chasing some big bronzebacks. Any thoughts on what the water temps will be up north next weekend? I was in the Leech Lake area last weekend and the temps were around 50 so I am hoping the water temp will creep up towards 55 with a few warm days.

Many of us will be in the Southern Zone next weekend. Water temps will depend heavily on the weather this week. I expect LCO or Grindstone to be coldest at 55-57 degrees by weeks end. Smaller lakes could be up to 63 by then.

I'll be in the Polk/Burnett co on saturday with Cecil.. more about setting the hook a few times than looking for pigs.. but who knows, we may have a pic or two for monday? if not, who cares, Ill be casting for bass legally.. Id be willing to bet, Cecil and I have only had about 4 days off total between the two of us since feb.. its on like DONKY KONG!!!!

Let the games begin..

I was thinking the water would be around 55 as well. Like Dietz said it will feel great to set the hook legally!

mwal,

I heard the Eau Claire Chain is a good bass fishery. Is it worth a trip up there at some point?

I look forward to posting pics and a report next week.

EauClaire chain has good smallmouth fishery. Very limited on largemouth due to rusty crayfish infestation that essentially wiped out all the weeds in the lakes even Lilly pads. Panfish have crashed as well due to no habitat. If you work hard you will be rewarded with some smallies. Remember that Bony and Upper EauClaire have sechi disk readings of close to 26ft . So light lines or flouro are advised. Due to the clarity these are mainly prime fishing time lake sun up and sun down or night. Very tough during daytime unless raining or very windy. If you are up to the challenge you could catch a whopper smallie. I would not consider these numbers lakes. They are trophy lakes if you are up to the challenge. If numbers are your game there are many dark water flowages in the Hayward Cable area. 42nd year on Bony Lake

Mwal

I am looking to get our this weekend. Does anyone have a good LMB lake that you would recommend within close distance of the border?

To second DD all of them are good (with a few exceptions, most notably Deer Lake, it is awful). In fact in many lakes they are encouraging harvest to help bring fish populations back into balance.

Lol our club tourney is on Deer. Thats were im going sunday

I don't think pre-fishing will do you much good. It's weedy by the launch, tons of milfoil in the south-east end, and a few humps. Otherwise you are fishing docks on clear water. The structure actually seems promising: however there are probably more muskies in the lake than bass. It is almost exclusively a perch/muskie lake.

If I were you, I would be prepared to make the jump to any of the other lakes within 10 miles, just so you can catch something with that new boat.

Here are some results from a 3 hour league night there:

Code:
WEEK 4    DEER LAKE  MAY 24, 2010

13 out of 19 boats had NO fish.

11 fish were weighed in.

Total Weight Winners were Rob Newhouse and Mike Anselmo with 3 fish for a weight of 5.460

Big Bass Winners were Rob Newhouse and Mike Anselmo with a 2.600 bass.

Jeff Burch and Jason Hill had 2 fish that weighed 3.240

Jake Reigel and Derek Olson had 2 fish that weighed 2.910

Mike Andren and Jamie Booth had 1 fish that weighed 2.120

Brandon Schurtz and Jerry Dux had 2 fish that weighed 4.00

Eric Larson and Travis Ellefson had 1 fish that weighed 1.980

Anyone fished Lake Mallalieu? It looks like it's a part of the river system.

Fished it a couple years ago. If I remember correctly we got a few smallies and largies, Nothing to big though.

ya craigums. That launch on deer kinda sucks. may not be fun if its your first time on the boat. I fished there opener there last year and didnt get a single bite. I fished shallow to almost 20 feet. I found some nice gravel in like 16 feet that seemed to be just a smal patch. I thought, here we go going to stick at least one. Nothing. it is a pretty long lake so if you have had practice you could at least open the throtte and cruise up and down getting the feel for driving.