• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Privacy Fence

lindy rig

We have a chain link fence on all sides of our backyard. I am considering a privacy fence on one side of it.

Would the chain link have to come down? Or could we just put the privacy fence on our side of the chain link?

Any codes as to the max height?

would think u can put privacy fence on your side over chainlink but would check with your local building codes regarding having 2 fences up at same time. i doubt there is a maximum height allowance code but u should check that also.....if not, your choice i assume

Who is going to mow between the chain link fence and the privacy fence? I'm guessing if you are wanting to put up a privacy fence on just one side of your yard you might have some neighbor issues. Unfriendly neighbors seem to make the most of these oppurtunities to be a pain in the butt.

As others have said, call your city, as requirements vary. For example, when I built a privacy fence several years ago I didn't need a permit if the fence was 6' high or less. Minnetonka also does not have a good side/bad side ordinance; that's different than most cities I know of.

I would guess that you could "encapsulate" the chain link fence, but setting posts for the privacy fence could be a challenge. If it were me, I'd take down the old fence and try to sell or give away the parts on C.L.

Normally a 6 ft limit on fences or it was when I put one up. Who owns the Chain link fence now? And make sure of property lines. Friend put one up and the contractor put it 6 inches too far one way and it all had to come down and be moved.

I know we had a 6' height limit on the one we put up last summer to not have to pull a permit. What side of the fence are the support pipes on, that may tell you who owns the fence if you don't know? Otherwise, I would say the current one should come down otherwise it could be a pain to tend to grass/weeds between plus you would lose a little space as well...although minimal.

They also have a privacy addition you could add to your current chainlink....if your main concern is the yippers next door! Not sure if that would help or not though.