• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plumbing work in non-vented area

fivebucks

Question for people in the know. We have an old house that they added a drain and sink etc in the basement for laundry purposes. The drain ties into the main sewer pipe. We do not have any issues with sewer gas that we know of. My question is can a licensed plumber do work on this without it being vented? We have some tree root issues I think and a hollow spot under the concrete. We may just need a good drain cleaning but I think we need some drain tile replacement. What you think?

I was watching a home improvement show and there is a device you may be able to use. In the show it was an island sink. Obviously you cant have a vent pipe going out of the counter and through the ceiling. Under the counter they ran a pipe over and up. On top of the pipe was a device that let the vent pipe draw air but did not let sewer gases out.

I think the device needed to be installed so it was above the bottom of the sink.

Kind of in a "don't know what to do" deal with this. A plumber can't work on it cause it's not vented but it's not practical to vent it. Oh well, it might be a DIY job for someone someday.

I think drain cleaning can be done without a permit. If there are any natural gas lines in your area, such as the front yard, I'd suggest that you have the drain scoped before you let anyone run an auger through it. Been a few cases of gas lines being directionally bored through the sewer lines. Going to probably cost you a couple bucks more but it's really a matter of safety. Drain tile replacement? Do you mean sewer replacement? If so, then I think you'll need it inspected.

As far as venting an island sink, there is a specific method used for this. Air admitance valves aren't part of it. Tough to explain but if you look at the illustrated portion of the Minnesota Plumbing codebook, it'll make sense.

Thanks for replies. The main sewer tiles are fine as far as I know. A waste water drain for the washer and a few feet away there is a laundry tub. It is the tiles the first several feet going away from here that I get a hollow sound under the concrete. This line connects to the main sewer line a few feet later. Once the smaller drains are done then I can have the main line scoped to see if anything needs to be done there. So if there is a drain problem with a non-vented wash tub drain does that need inspection and can a plumber work on it?

Are you having problems with the drains, or is it just the hollow sound of the concrete that concerns you?

Either way. Call a plumber. He's not going to make you do anything (ie venting). It would be the inspector (if a permit is pulled) that is going to require certain items.

I'd just call a plumber to get some troubleshooting service (for a fee of course) to see what you're up against. Could be something super simple that can be done in an hour or two with no permitting, and you can leave the non-venting as is. Could be something more major that will require a permit, but I cant imagine the plumber is going to tattle on you to the state.

The drains run a bit slow so I know there is some clogging. Not sure if it is related but the wife thinks so. In that corner of the house we had our steps to the basement settle about 1/2" several years ago. Anyhow I need to do something since she is convinced the hollow sound is the cause. Any good plumbers in west metro area? Thanks for the replies.