• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree saddle???

I've been in one and borrowed one to hunt from, a handful of times. Takes a little getting used to facing the tree. I personally like to sit in my climber vs the saddle. If I found a deal on one, I'd buy it.

I bought one last summer. Its pretty fun to hunt out of, shot my 9 pt in ND and 10 pt in MN out of the saddle. As far as safe, like somebody said check out youtube. theres videos of guys hanging upside down and having no problem getting righted. It would be hard to get upside down though in the first place though. They do take some getting used to, foot work around the steps or whatever you use to stand on. I used screw in steps last year and this year I will be using summits bucksteps for climbing

ok not to be blonde. but my hair color is blonde. why good luck on finding one? Hard to come by or in high demand? I don’t get how they climb around a think branch/limb that one can’t cut. Do you take off the belt safety strap? put the strap on where you hang from. go around the limb. Then strap back in and continue climbing

I have a tree saddle that is in perfect shape, I just simply never use it. I have all permanent stands on private land i guess. I would probably sell it if someone really wants it. You can PM me and we can discuss it. I wouldn't even know what they are worth anymore?

The last time I sold something to a fellow FM'er, I sold in good faith and got totally hosed. Still have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. x1957x.... still waiting for my money... or my camera back.... or anything.

slimngrizzly- total understand. I wouldnt ask you to do something your not 100% on. i dont on plan on buying one intill late summer.

my thing is yea utube. is great, and i have watched alot of them. i would just like to talk to a user. Its between a summit climber or a saddle. I know both have pros and cons. i would just like to hear more cons for the saddle. like i still dont understand how to get around a big tree limb with the buckle saftey strap when your climbing up in a tree. so if your user send me a PM please.

Tree saddles are nice but if your dealing with large diameter trees, they are not what youre looking for. I would say they work best on trees less than 18", probably 10- 12" trees work best and allow you the most movement.

The advantage over a climber is they can work great in trees with lots of limbs. Easier to climb and you can use the limbs to camoflage yourself as well as get by with fewer footpegs.

I can think of several pros and cons to each type of stand. The saddles are certainly unique.

i would just like to hear more cons for the saddle.

I'm not a saddle user but I know a few guys who own them. They like them but they say it takes a lot of practice to get comfortable moving around and getting into shooting positions, even taking the shot. Not something you can use out of the box.

I think its a cool concept but not my cup of tea. I'd like to try one but the guys I know live out of state.

It took me awhile to find one when I was looking. I had threads asking around on here, and couldnt find one. I had threads and was looking on hso_archery_forum as well, couldnt find one.

To get around a branch, yea you would just have to undo the belt around the tree and then hook up again in the other side. You probably will make more movement, but I hunt about 25-30 ft up with it so I can get away with more. The knee pads are key! I just bought some at house depot.

Really the only con for me has been having to screw in the steps everytime i climb a tree. Very similar to having to put up and take down a hang on. But this year should be easier with the bucksteps.

Id say those dang steps are the worst thing about them. Im not familiar with the bucksteps but I surwe hate screwing in steps in odd positions. i dont think movement is an issue. You hang very securely and quietly to the tree, any movement is very "fluid". I think its quieter than most treestands for sure!

Bottom line- they are comforable, but kind of a pain in the rear to put up each time. If your hiking in a long ways and want light, versitile, and quiet... youre going to have a tough time beating a saddle. If you are on strait, branchless trees... im sure a climber would be better. If your on private land and/or close to a road, id just put up permanent stands!

They all have pros and cons. Figure out what type of hunting and where, and it will make choosing the right stand a lot easier.

I've got one and I like it, but it's not the best application for all uses. They aren't as comfortable as a hang on stand or a climber, but you can use them anywear. You don't have to pick the right tree, just the one that is right where you want to be. You can have a dozen setup ready to go depending on wind direction. You can also hide your movement very well if you spot the deer first and then put the tree between you and the deer. Just set up so the deer will pass on your left side (for a right handed shot) and as soon as it clears into the lane you've got them. Now if it goes to the right, you'll have to wait until it gets by and then try to swing around to get a shot. That is a little tougher and something a guy has to practice first to get comfortable with. Just like anything a saddle has it's place, but it's a nice little tool to have in the bag.

I have 2. 1 for me and 1 for my daughter. We love them. We can hunt out of the same tree. Try that with a climber. My daughter shot 2 deer this passed season with her bow. I feel safer in my saddle than I ever did in my climber. I would not be very comfortable with my daughter using a climber. Hard to fall out of a tree when you are always strapped to it. Wear it out to the stand. Only need to carry your weapon and 4 climbing sticks. The only complaint that my daughter has is that when you try to shoot a gun the strap that you are hanging from gets in the way, which is not a problem when you draw and shoot a bow. I have watched my daughter take a few hour nap in the tree. Her first bow killed deer is laying dead in the red circle.

GEDC0170-1.jpg

I have 2. 1 for me and 1 for my daughter. We love them. We can hunt out of the same tree. Try that with a climber. My daughter shot 2 deer this passed season with her bow. I feel safer in my saddle than I ever did in my climber. I would not be very comfortable with my daughter using a climber. Hard to fall out of a tree when you are always strapped to it. Wear it out to the stand. Only need to carry your weapon and 4 climbing sticks. The only complaint that my daughter has is that when you try to shoot a gun the strap that you are hanging from gets in the way, which is not a problem when you draw and shoot a bow. I have watched my daughter take a few hour nap in the tree. Her first bow killed deer is laying dead in the red circle.

GEDC0170-1.jpg