• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on Minnkota 50PD

Toba

Question

I put a new 3 bank charger in the boat. I have never monkeyed with the two trolling motor batteries as far as the wiring goes. It worked when I bought it and didn't think about it. Now I wonder if the trolling motor is a 12 or 24v. There was a positive and negative lead going from each battery to the trolling motor plug in in the front of the boat. Both sets of leads go to the plug which is a 4 prong. The boat is a 98 and the trolling motor is probably the same. There was a single bank charger in the boat and was hooked up to only one of the batteries. I have always seemed to have issues with the batteries. Does this sound common to everyone. Being that the receptacle in the front has 4 prongs and 2 pos and 2 neg coming from it does that tell me it's a 12 or 24v. I'm not an ace with the electrical stuff. The more I try to think about it the more I feel I don't know. Any help????

4 answers to this question

Update, the power receptacle in the front of the boat where the trolling motor plugs in says 12/24 volts. Now I took on of my batteries and hooked it up to one set of the leads and the trolling motor worked which tells me it's a 12 volt. I took those leads off and put the other set on and nothing happened. Here's what I think I should do...Get some wires and hook the 2 batteries together working as one big 12v and only run the working set of leads and tape up the other leads.

Bought this boat used. I think the prior owner must of had a motor that could be switched from 12/24. The motor now on the boat has no capabilities like that. Any experience with these 4 prong 12/24 receptacles?